| Most viewed - Heritage |

Ministers Fraternal1384 viewsMembers of Helensburgh and District Ministers Fraternal pictured at a Christian Unity evening service in St Columba Church, Helensburgh, in January 1972. The morning service that day had been a rededication of the church, back in use after being closed for six months for dry rot repairs. From left: the Rev Dr T.Crowther Gordon, the Rev Robert Cairns, the Rev Merricks Arnott, the Rev A.Douglas Stirling, the Rev Alan Johnston, the Rev Lindsay Parkinson, the Rev Tom Gordon, St Columba minister the Rev Andrew Mitchell, the Rev Dr George R.Logan, unknown.
|
|

British Legion1384 viewsLittle is known of this picture of a British Legion function in the now demolished Drill Hall in East Princes Street, Helensburgh. A mother holds twins at the front, and there appears to be a Christmas tree at the back. The editor would welcome any more information — please use the Contact Us facility on the Trust website homepage. Image supplied by Rae Simon.
|
|

Sailing ship Helensburgh1383 viewsThe three masted iron full-rigged ship named Helensburgh, a fine main skysail yarder, was built by Robert Duncan of Port Glasgow in 1883 for Thom & Cameron of Glasgow, but in 1906 they sold her to a Norwegian, M.H.Bruusgaard of Drammen, who renamed her Marita. During World War One she was stopped and sunk on April 23 1917 by a German submarine, U-82, about 110 miles west of St Kilda while on passage from Buenos Aires to Aarhus with a cargo of grain. Image date unknown.
|
|

Helensburgh Seafront1382 viewsTaken from the pier when the tide was in. Note the paddling pool along the beach.
|
|

Kidston Park1382 viewsA drinking fountain at Kidston Park, with the bandstand in the distance, circa 1908.
|
|

View from pier1382 viewsA view of West Clyde Street from Helensburgh pier. Image date unknown.
|
|

Jeanie Deans at Arrochar1382 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans leaves Arrochar, circa 1931. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
|
|

TSS Duchess of Montrose1381 viewsThe 806-ton turbine steamer was launched on May 10 1930 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. The first 'one-class' vessel on the Clyde, she cruised in the lower Firth to Arran, Ayr and as far as Stranraer, Campbeltown and Inveraray, and she remained on the Clyde during World War II serving Wemyss Bay and Rothesay. Converted to oil in 1956 she undertook the long cruises, especially to Inveraray, in the post-war period. She was withdrawn in 1964, and scrapped in Ghent, Belgium, in 1965.
|
|

Conservative Club1381 viewsThe upstairs premises at 40 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, housed the Conservative and Unionist Club Rooms. The attractive building was designed in 1894 by Honeyman and Keppie, and it is thought Charles Rennie Mackintosh, then a young architect employed by the firm, contributed to the design which has many Glasgow-style features. A statue of St Andrew, the crest of the club, occupies a niche in a central position on the facade. Now the building is owned by the clothing firm Mackays. Image by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Garelochhead Village1380 viewsA view of the Garelochhead Hotel, burnt down some years ago, and the long demolished pier, circa 1905.
|
|

Business Dinner1380 viewsCommittee members of Helensburgh Business Club at their annual dinner in the Queen's Hotel in November 1969. Standing (from left) Angus Wylie, president Sam F.Graham, R.Simpson; seated I.H.Condie, secretary J.Birrell, W.D.Rankin and D.McNaughtan.
|
|

Argyll Cars1380 viewsCars built at Argyll Motors in Alexandria pictured outside Helensburgh's Queen's Hotel before being driven to London to be sold. Image circa 1910.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
82 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|