Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
earlybaths.jpg
The Swimming Pool3201 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor pool. Undated, possible the 1960s.
Clyde_Street_School_c1953_jpeg.jpg
Clyde Street School class 19533198 viewsBack row: Jim Graham, Donald Scott, X, Ronnie McLean, X, X, X, X; 2nd back row: X, Campbell Mackie, X, X, X, X, James Spalding, X; middle row: Sheila Somerville, Pauline Aitken, Janet Fagan, Rae Dennett, X, Molly Oswald, X, Catriona McKinnon, X; 2nd front row: Avril Johnston(e) X, X, X, X, Marilyn White, X, X, Sylvia Gilchrist, X; front row: X, X, X, Charlie McGoldrick,, X, Rae Dewar, Netta Adamson. Image supplied by Jim Graham. More names would be welcomed.
Hermitage_FP_Dance0971.jpg
Former Pupils Dance3192 viewsA Hermitage School Former Pupils Dance in the 1940s. Among those in the picture are headmaster Jimmy Bell, Robin Spy and Stanley Brown. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
1914_Clyde_St_School.jpg
1914 Clyde Street School3188 viewsA damaged but interesting image of Class 3B at Clyde Street School in 1914, eleven years after the school — designed by Alexander Nisbet Paterson — opened.
1930s_Rhu_public_school.jpg
1930s Rhu Primary School3170 viewsBack row from left, Dawson, Henderson, Hood, Ferguson, Miller, Spy; third row, Hutchison, Godfrey, ?, ?, Finlay, Black, Macdonald, Johnston; second row, McLean, Isobel Macdonald, Dawson, Nairn, Thomson, Ferguson, Henderson; front row, Irvine, Small, Spy, Orr, Hood. Missing, corrected and first names would be welcomed. Image supplied by Liz Sutherland.
HelensburghFC.jpg
Helensburgh Football Club circa 19253152 viewsSitting on the far right, centre row, is the 1890s ex-Rangers and Scotland goalkeeper Matt Dickie.
ClydeSt1953.jpg
Clyde Street School 1953-43150 viewsA picture of a class at Helensburgh's Clyde Street School. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, Ontario, Canada, who is in the third row, second from the right. In the second row, fourth from left, is Mary MacKinnon, and on the extreme left of the front row is Joe McKell who went on to become a well known local footballer. Alex thinks the teacher was Miss Minto, and would welcome any more information.
knockderrycastle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove3149 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1912.
knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove3143 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1913, possibly taken from the roof of Bellcairn House, looking south.
Glenoran-House-mono.jpg
Glenoran House3136 viewsGlenoran House in Rhu, up the hill above the Ardencaple Hotel. It is thought to have been designed and built in 1869 by John Honeyman for Charles Kidston, a member of the well known Kidston family, and was demolished a century later to make way for a housing development which has never happened. Image supplied by Trish Fleming.
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House3120 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
DSCI0006.jpg
Malig Mill inscription with dates3119 viewsThese have been placed on one wall. According to one written source the original mill was rebuilt. The dates may or may not support this.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 6