Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Jeanie_Deans_at_Craigendoran.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran1549 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Image circa 1949.
West_Helensburgh1.jpg
West Helensburgh1548 viewsThe west side of Sinclair Street from just below West Argyle Street, taken from the St Columba Church tower. Circa 1912.
Helensburgh_Cricket_Club_1st_XI_1953.jpg
Helensburgh 1st XI 19531548 viewsThe Helensburgh Cricket Club 1st XI of 1953 line up for the camera in front of the old pavilion at Ardencaple, which was burnt down some years later. Standing (from left): umpire J.McFarlane, J.Keir, J.P.Kinloch, Ian Gilchrist, Willie Gilchrist, R.A.Whitton, J.A.N.Withrington. Seated: G.Johnstone, J.Blain, captain J.M.Ramsay, Bill Nicholson, J.H.F.Morton. In front is scorer Robert Lindsay. The photo was taken by well known local photographer Bill Benzie.
Finnart_Christmas_1955.jpg
Christmas at BP Finnart1548 viewsA children's Christmas party at the BP Ocean Terminal at Finnart, Loch Long, circa 1954. Image supplied by Alastair McIntyre.
Plaza_Ballroom0597.jpg
The Plaza Ballroom1547 viewsThe Plaza Ballroom at 23 John Street opened in 1927 and was very popular with British and American servicemen during World War Two who knew it as the 'Honky Tonk'. Eventually the site was bought by the Town Council, and in 1970 it was demolished and flats built on the site. From 1913-27 it was the Cine Electric Picture House, closing because of competition from other cinemas.
helensburgh2.jpg
View of Helensburgh1546 viewsLooking over the town and across to the Rosneath Peninsula Appears from the golf course.
Helensburgh-from-Rosneath.jpg
Helensburgh from Rosneath1546 viewsA view of Helensburgh from above Rosneath, published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Rosneath. Image date unknown, probably early 1900s.
Switzerland-1964---departure.jpg
Scouts leave for Switzerland1546 viewsA group from the 1st Craigendoran Scouts were pictured at Helensburgh Central Station by Henry Fullerton, about to head off for Brienz in Switzerland in 1964. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan.
Loch_Long~0.jpg
Loch Long Torpedo Range1546 viewsThis picture, circa 1950, shows the Loch Long Torpedo Range which was in use from 1912-86. The building was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 2007. Activity at the range reached a peak during World War Two, with more than 12,000 torpedoes being fired down the loch in 1944.
Clan-Colquhoun-Pipe-Band~0.jpg
Clan Colquhoun Pipe Band1545 viewsThe Helensburgh-based Clan Colquhoun Pipe Band outside Clyde Street School in 1952. Back: Jimmy Simpson, Ian Laurie, Dougie Martin, Tommy Williams, Malcolm Gilmour, Mick Thrule, Jimmy Martin; front: Pipe Major Archie McNicol, John Cameron, Robert Toole, Andy Clark, Tom McDougall, Jim Gunn. Two members missing from the picture were A.McLean and John Boyle.
rowrd.jpg
On the Row Road1544 viewsPost-marked 1909. On the road to Row (Rhu) with Helensburgh in the background.
Loading-mines.jpg
Loading mines1544 viewsA Vickers T Mk3 exercise mine is loaded aboard the Dutch submarine O19 in Loch Long off Arrochar during World War Two. Picture courtesy of www.dutchsubmarines.com
2190 files on 183 page(s) 58