| Most viewed - Heritage |

Hermitage Park sun dial1596 viewsA family cluster round the sun dial in the rose garden of Hermitage Park. Image circa 1938.
|
|

Colquhoun Square Centenary Cross1595 viewsMembers of the public and two police officers in Colquhoun Square before the Centenary Monument was moved from the centre of the square to the north west quadrant. Date unknown.
|
|

Old Row1595 viewsPupils stand outside the original Row (Rhu) School which stood on what is now the village green.
|
|

Helensburgh Golf Club1594 viewsA view of the clubhouse, circa 1919. The club was founded in 1893, with a nine hole course designed by former Open champion 'Old' Tom Morris. This second clubhouse was opened in 1900, and five years later the course was upgraded to 18 holes.
|
|

Arden shepherd1592 viewsRobert MacDonald, who was shepherd at Arden for 32 years before retiring in March 1985.
|
|

Esplanade and putting green1592 viewsAn atmospheric picture of the esplanade and putting green looking west, possibly circa 1930.
|
|

Susie and her Castle1591 viewsBorn in 1847, Susie Reid was a well-known character, not only at Portincaple, where she lived for many years until her death at 81, but also much further afield. Her personality would probably have been enough to make her a local celebrity, but the extra factor that ensured her a place in the hall of fame was that her home was an upturned fishing smack. Her story is told in the People section of the Trust website. Photo taken by Rhu postmaster Willie Winton and supplied by his grandson, Alistair Quinlan.
|
|

Hermitage Hospital1589 viewsNurses and servicemen pictured in June 1915 outside the World War One Hermitage House Auxiliary Military Hospital. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion became an annexe to Hermitage School after the war. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
|
|

View from St Columba Church Tower1588 viewsLooking west from the top of the St Columba Church tower. Date unknown.
|
|

Loch Lomond steamer1588 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer, possibly the SS Prince George, meets the train at Balloch Pier, circa 1917.
|
|

Steamers at Craigendoran1588 viewsA 1933 picture of most of the LNER fleet at Craigendoran. The two which can be seen least well are the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans, while in the centre are the Talisman and the Marmion. The steamer terminal and station opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone.
|
|

Creche1587 viewsMaggie Whyte in charge of a creche at Maitland Buildings, Helensburgh. Image, date unknown, supplied by her niece, Marlyn Ritchie (nee Whyte).
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
52 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|