| Most viewed - Heritage |

T.S. Cumberland1638 viewsTRAINING SHIPS were moored in the Gareloch off Kidston Point from 1869 for 54 years. The first was HMS Cumberland, after which Cumberland Avenue in Helensburgh and the much older Cumberland Terrace in Rhu were named. Built in 1842 at Chatham, she was a 2,214-ton two-deck 70-gun man o'war, 180 feet long, with a crew of up to 620 men. In 1869 she was taken over for use as a training vessel by the newly formed Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association. This image, one of only two known images of the vessel, is reproduced by kind permission of Dundee City Archives. The other can be seen on the Trust website.
|
|

Day of the Sale1637 viewsThis was taken outside the Helensburgh Advertiser's East King Street premises in 1985 on the day the weekly newspaper was sold to Express Newspapers. It shows (from left) Helensburgh man Ronnie Fowler of Express Newspapers, an Express executive, founder Craig Jeffrey, Sir David McNee, Advertiser chief cashier Mrs Freda Aram from Garelochhead, another Express executive, co-owner Ronnie Jeffrey, and managing editor Donald Fullarton.
|
|

Helensburgh Pier1637 viewsA sunny day on the pier, with coloured lights running the length of the pier. Date unknown. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
|
|

VADs and Red Cross 1925-291637 viewsIn this period both Junior and Senior teams of local VADs and Red Cross won the County Cup and Shield. The lady with medals is Miss Ellis Napier of Cardross. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
|
|

Heather Day1636 viewsSupporters of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children take a Heather Day collection in Colquhoun Square in September 1918. The message of the trays reads: “Send Good Luck to your Friends at the Frontâ€.
|
|

Clarendon1635 viewsSt Bride's School teachers and boarders at Clarendon in 1958.
|
|

Argylls at Ardencaple1633 viewsThe Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders — possibly Dunbartonshire Rifles (8th/9th Battalion Argylls) — parade in the field below Ardencaple Castle, Helensburgh. Image date and other details unknown. Please email the website editor, using the Contact Us facility on the main website, if you can provide any more information.
|
|

Spy's Coalyard1632 viewsA. & R.Spy, coal merchants and colliery agents, had a coalyard at 23-25 Sinclair Street — in the middle of the block between Clyde and Princes Streets — until 1964 when the business was sold to D. & G.Allan Ltd. of Glasgow. It was then acquired by William Low Ltd. who built the town's first supermarket on the site and opened it in 1966. The firm also had premises at 110 West Princes Street and a wholesale depot at Helensburgh Central Station. In the picture, supplied by Pat Drayton, are Robin and Jack Spy.
|
|

West End United1632 viewsA 1962-3 West End United boys football team supplied by local man Alistair Quinlan who, aged about 13, was in the team which played a one-off charity match at Ardencaple organised by a father to raise funds for his ill son. Opponents Kirkmichael United won by a handsome score. Back: Gordon Smith, Richard Johnson, Ian Gilchrist, Hugh Jordan, Alastair Quinlan, Delford Lenk; front: Frank Lenk, Peter Jordan, the boy for whom it was arranged, Bill McEwan, ?.
|
|

First Commodore Leaves1631 viewsThe first Commodore Clyde, Derek Kent, and his wife leave the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane at the end of his tour of duty. He was promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Flag Officer Malta.
|
|

Thos. Rowatt1630 viewsThe 16 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, premises of Thomas Rowatt, cabinetmaker and upholsterer. Later the firm moved to West Princes Street, where it is still in business today. Image circa 1910.
|
|

Hermitage Park1629 viewsThe War Memorial is on the left. Date unknown.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
48 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|