| Most viewed - Heritage |

R.M.Clyde, Grocers1656 viewsThe R.M.Clyde grocery at 64 and 66 West Princes Street, Helensburgh. The red sandstone building was called Waverley Place, and was designed by Robert Wemyss and built in 1897, opposite the Post Office. Next door to the shop is the tearoom of McAdam the baker.
|
|

Royal Yacht1655 viewsThe Royal Yacht Britannia berthed at the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane for a visit by the Queen Mother in May 1968.
|
|

Train now leaving1655 viewsBritish Railways engine 67619, a Class V1 Gresley design introduced from 1930, weighing 84 tons. Image supplied by Helensburgh man Bobby Brodie who can just be seen in the cab, circa 1955.
|
|

Reece's Sweet Shop1654 viewsMargaret Reece outside her sweet shop at the corner of Maitland Street and East Clyde Street, Helensburgh. Image, date unknown, supplied by Sue Taylor.
|
|

1950s St Bride's School class1653 viewsA junior class at St Bride's School. From left: Val McIntyre, Sarah Lee, Fiona Carslaw or Pat Wright?, Vari Sandeman, Sandra McDougall, Barbara Brown, Alison Hamilton, Esther Henderson in floral dress, Phyllis Marshall, Liz Birnie, with Ann Davidson at the piano and Alison Gow conducting. Image circa 1957.
|
|

Prince Albert Terrace1651 viewsThe Terrace in Victoria Road was built in the late 1870s by William Tait for the Cramb family, who owned Hermitage Park. It is said to have been built to such a height and facing north on the orders of the owners to obscure the view of the river from Lansdowne House opposite and overlook it, because Susannah Cramb had been jilted by a young man from Landsdowne. Novelist A.J.Cronin (1896-1981) lived in the Terrace, and contemporary portrait painter Stephen Conroy was born at no.3 in 1964.
|
|

Rhu Station1651 viewsRhu Station on the West Highland Line which opened in 1894. Rhu was the only one of the local upper stations not designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
|
|

Local Press Barons1649 viewsA rare picture of Craig Jeffrey, founder of the Helensburgh Advertiser, with Walter Bryden, owner of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Between them is Provost J.McLeod Williamson. The photograph was taken at the official opening of the Churchill naval married quarters estate in May 1969.
|
|

Landing Craft1649 viewsTwo Army Landing Craft moored at the pier are seen from the Henry Bell obelisk on Helensburgh seafront. They were used to supply the Benbecula Rocket Range in the Outer Hebrides, collecting supplies from Rhu Hangars, and after complaints from Helensburgh people about noise from their generators they were moved to Rhu Hangars. Image circa 1965 supplied by Marion Gillies.
|
|

Royal Train1648 viewsLocal people greet the Royal Train on the West Highland Line heading north near Garelochhead. This was almost certainly shot not long after the Coronation of King
Edward VII in 1902.
|
|

The Northern Belle1647 viewsA special excursion with a steam locomotive emblazoned with the name The Northern Belle waits at the pier platform at Craigendoran Station for passengers to alight from steamers. It was a week-long luxury round Britain excursion first introduced in 1933 by the London and North Eastern Railway using Pullman coaches, run four time each summer until the outbreak of World War Two. Image date unknown.
|
|

Helensburgh Esplanade1646 viewsA family group on the west esplanade. Date unknown.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
46 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|