Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Bandstand.jpg
Seafront bandstand1699 viewsA Boys Brigade band give a concert in the Helensburgh seafront bandstand, opposite West Clyde Street and the Eagle (now Imperial) Hotel. Circa 1912.
67602-at-Helensburgh3.jpg
67602 at Helensburgh1696 viewsThe steam locomotive 67602 is seen at the Helensburgh Shed beside the Central Station, where the Co-op Supermarket now stands. It is of the Gresley-designed V1 Class, introduced in 1930 and weighing 84 tons. Image date unknown.
hydro_1stlounge.jpg
Lounge1694 viewsOne of two lounges at Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Pier_boats3.jpg
Pierhead Boats1693 viewsBoatmen wait with their boats at Helensburgh pierhead, circa 1919.
Station_Hotel1058.jpg
Reynolds Station Hotel1693 viewsThe Station Hotel on Craigendoran Avenue, Helensburgh. Date unknown. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
Iona-Colquhoun-wed.jpg
Iona Colquhoun marries Marquis1691 viewsIona Colquhoun (18), daughter of Luss laird Sir Ivar Colquhoun and his wife and a former pupil of Helensburgh's St Bride's School, married the Marquis of Lorne (26), heir to the Duke of Argyll, at St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh in the summer of 1965, and the reception for 500 guests — many of them local — followed at the Assembly Rooms. A surprise guest was Lord Colin Campbell, the Duke's younger son, who arrived unexpectedly from New Zealand. Provost J.McLeod Williamson and Town Clerk Robert Mackay and their wives represented Helensburgh.
eaglehotel.jpg
The Eagle Hotel1688 viewsThe Eagle Temperance Hotel was next to MacGillvary's on West Clyde Street. This card is post-dated 1913.
Advertiser-car029.jpg
Advertiser promotion1687 viewsThree members of the Helensburgh Advertiser staff sit on proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey's decorated Triumph 2000 car outside the then 17-19 East King Street office and printing plant before promoting the Advertiser and its sister weekly, the Dunbarton County Reporter, at the annual traders Christmas parade in Alexandria in the early 1970s. Centre is Carol Campbell, and on the right Alison Fraser.
cairndhu_06.jpg
Cairndhu panels1687 viewsDecorated panels in need of repair at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
1917_potato_seekers.jpg
Potato seekers1687 viewsFour images from 1917 of young potato seekers arriving in Helensburgh from Greenock. The local newspaper headline was 'Helensburgh Invaded!'
1975-02_last_kirking_of_helensburgh_town_council.jpg
Last Kirking of the Council1686 viewsThe last Provost of Helensburgh, Norman M.Glen CBE, leads the Bailies and members of Helensburgh Town Council to Old and St Andrew's Church (now West Kirk) in Colquhoun Square for the final annual Kirking of the Council service in the spring of 1975 before the council disappeared in the reform of local government. Image by Stewart Noble.
Image1-120.jpg
Sinclair Street looking north1685 viewsThis old card, looking up Sinclair Street from Clyde Street, is post-dated 1905. The nearest lamp post on the east side is inscribed Clyde St E.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 42