
| Most viewed - Heritage |

Unusual Helensburgh card1706 viewsThis unusual card, posted on December 17 1901, has a version of the Helensburgh coat of arms and four scenes — the West Esplanade, Rhu Bay, Helensburgh golf course, and the East Bay.
|
|

Lansdowne Park1706 viewsBuilt in the 1850s and demolished about 2004, Lansdowne Park was on the east side of the Victoria Road and Sinclair Street junction in Helensburgh, opposite Prince Albert Terrace. Originally a private house, the ornate roof was added by architect William Leiper in 1896. Its last use was as a boarding house for St Bride's School and its successor Lomond School. After it was demolished, private houses and flats were built on the site. Image date unknown.
|
|

Macvicars1706 viewsPedestrians use the crossing at the foot of Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, in front of Macvicars clothing store in the 1960s.
|
|

Helensburgh Pier1705 viewsAn unusual picture of Helensburgh pier, c.1908, before the outdoor swimming pool was built in 1928 on the left of the entrance arch. Men and children can be seen standing around, while the fishing boats are ready to be launched. Image circa 1905.
|
|

3rd year Hermitage 19541705 viewsTop: Ian McLeod, Sandy Peters, David Gall, Neil Burgess, Robin Burnet, Jimmy MacDonald, Drew Buchanan, Fraser McGruer. Second: Ian Paul, Ian Still, Gordon Fraser, George Douglas, Charlie Burnet, Tony Wright, Bobby Lindsay, Ned Montgomerie, Stewart Douglas, Campbell MacCulloch. Third: Marcia Anderson, Maureen Thomson, Megan Boak, Anne Jardine, Kathleen Dunnett, Eleanor Kilpatrick, Janet Munro, Joan Muir, Mary Johnstone. Fourth: Janet Henderson, Florence Hendry, Aileen Wallace, Irene Armstrong, Kathleen Taylor, Margaret Graham, Margaret Rice, Margaret McCulloch, Helen Freeland, Esma White, Judith Peel. Fifth: Margaret MacFarlane, Elma Davis, Betty Caldwell, Ernie Kipling, Joyce Mitchell, Heather Gillespie, Helen Orr. Image from Gordon Fraser.
|
|

1953 Ne'erday Swim1702 viewsThe Ne'erday swimmers on Helensburgh pier on January 1 1953. Back: Burns, McCrea, Wright, McDonagh, Boyle, Milne, Hailstones, Bilsland, McHardy, McHardy, Sanders, Marsland; middle: Bird, Finnighan, McDonagh, Burgess, McDonagh; front: Cravens, Wright. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
|
|

Craigrownie Castle1702 viewsCraigrownie Castle, Cove, is a B listed building designed by world renowned architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in 1852, and recently renovated. There are six reception rooms, including an 800 sq ft ballroom, drawing room, library, morning room, dining room and informal sitting room. Thomson was 34 at the time and better known for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Glasgow. It was built as a weekend retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron, railway and property magnate. Image date unknown.
|
|

Sinclair Street looking north1701 viewsLooking up Sinclair Street from below Princes Street, circa 1908.
|
|

Advertiser staff1700 viewsThe Rev Murdoch McPherson conducts a radio interview for the BBC in the Helensburgh Advertiser editorial office in East King Street in the late 1960s. From left: Gordon Terris, Bill Heaney, proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey, Mr McPherson, Angela Sandeman, Jimmy Allan.
|
|

G.Arthur McInnes Ltd.1700 viewsA 1980s view of G.Arthur McInnes, Drapers, 77-81 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh. It opened on February 15 1929 on the site previously occupied by grocer R.M.Clyde, six years after Robert’s daughter Jean married George Arthur McInnes on January 3 1923. George died in 1937, but Jean carried on until her death in 1941. Her daughter Isobel — better known as Belle and wife of Waldies garage boss and town councillor George Aitkenhead — ran the business for many years with the aid of manager Duncan Ralph.
|
|

Helensburgh Seafront1699 viewsLooking east from William Street.
|
|

Council Water Trip1699 viewsHelensburgh Town Council members and officials on the steps of the Municipal Buildings in East Princes Street before the last ever Water Trip in April 1968. It was the first trip for 17 years, and was a month before responsibility for the town's water passed to the Lower Clyde Water Board. The water scheme was inaugurated 100 years earlier. Pictured from left are George Primrose, Councillors Norman Glen and Edith Garty, Burgh Surveyor Jim McColm and behind him Parks Superintendent Tom McColl, Councillors John Langan, James Urquhart and behind him Ian Johnson, Provost J.McLeod Williamson and at the back Town Clerk Robert Mackay, Burgh Chamberlain Philip Mill and behind him Councillor Jae Gardiner, Bailie Alex Gillespie and ?, ?, ?.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
41 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|

|