| Most viewed - Heritage |

Helensburgh 1st XI1721 viewsThe Helensburgh Cricket Club 1st XI pictured by well known burgh photographer Bill Benzie beside the old pavilion at Ardencaple, which was later burnt down. Two stalwarts of the team for many years are in the front row, Willie Gilchrist (left) and his brother Ian (second from right). Back second from left is Harry Simpson. Image date unknown.
|
|

Helensburgh Amateur Operatic Society1721 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Amateur Operatic Society before a performance in the Victoria Hall in the late 1950s-early 1960s. Front (from left): celloist Rosemary Gillies, Mrs Erskine, conductor Arthur Brocklebank, violinist Mary Gray, violinist Mrs R.Paterson, pianist Doris Bryden; standing: unknown professional drummer, trumpeter Frank O'Donnell, unknown, unknown, bass Robert McLaren, clarinet/sax Johnny Campbell, Peter Reece, unknown, Mr Erskine. Image supplied by Lorraine Cavana.
|
|

1924 West Clyde Street1719 viewsAn image of West Clyde Street, with the Imperial Hotel on the right. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
|
|

Rotary Boxing Night1717 viewsStar guests including Olympic gold medalist boxer Dick McTaggart (extreme left), football managers Jock Stein and behind him Bobby Brown, and world boxing champion Jim Watt (next to Jock Stein) with president Charlie McCrea, fellow rotarians, sponsors and guests at an International Boxing Dinner organised by Helensburgh Rotary Club at the Normandy Hotel, Renfrew, on February 19 1983. The event raised £25,000 for the Ruth Brown Cell Processor Fund launched by Bobby's wife, a cancer sufferer, and the Erskine Hospital for disabled ex-servicemen and women. It featured an amateur international between Scotland and Ireland.
|
|

Helensburgh Station1717 viewsThe Central Station and goods yard in the days of steam, pictured from the St Columba Church tower. Image date unknown.
|
|

West Esplanade1716 viewsLooking east along Helensburgh's West Esplanade, circa 1947. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
|
|

McCallum Milliners1715 viewsThe display in the ladies department at 21 West Clyde Street premises of McCallum & Sons, Milliners, Dressmakers & General Warehousemen, established 1820. They offered costumes, mantles and blouses, and were glovers, hosiers, and outfitters. They also supplied household linen, blankets, flannels and Scotch Wincey. The Gents Department offered hats, caps, shirts, gloves, 'cellular clothing', 'Scotch Underwear", and featherweight tourist waterproof coats. Image circa 1910.
|
|

Sir William Raeburn1714 viewsTHE FIRST holder of the Baronetcy of Helensburgh, Sir William Raeburn.
The Raeburn Baronetcy of Helensburgh in the County of Dunbarton is a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom, and it was created on July 25 1923 for the Conservative MP for Dunbartonshire, head of the shipping company of Raeburn & Verel Ltd.
|
|

Original St Bride's School1713 viewsSt Bride's School at 10 Stafford Street, Helensburgh, a branch of the Girls School Company, was founded in 1895 to provide such an education for girls as would prepare them for the interests and responsibilities of social life, and enable those who desired it to proceed to the wider education of the Universities. Miss Renton was the headmistress at the time of this photograph, probably around 1910. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils.
|
|

Craigendoran Station1712 viewsLooking west toward Craigendoran Low Level Station. The tank engine Class C15 4-4-2T no.67474 is in the pier platform on the Craigendoran to Arrochar push-and-pull train. On the right is the High Level Station on the West Highland Line. Image by K.R.Pirt.
|
|

Star Guest1709 viewsFilm star Gregory Peck chats to two ratings on a visit to the Faslane Polaris submarine HMS Repulse. Date unknown.
|
|

Train at Garelochhead1709 viewsA steam train passes through Garelochhead Station. The engine no.67460 is a Class C15 push-and-pull, a class designed by Reid and introduced in 1911, weighing some 68 tons. Image date unknown.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
40 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|