| Most viewed - Heritage |

1965 Royal visit1797 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which was a gift for Prince Andrew. The Blue Trains were introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line in 1960. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 when the royal couple were on their way to open new County Council offices at Garshake in Dumbarton, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. Behind them are Provost J.McLeod (Cloudy) Williamson and the Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Admiral Sir Angus Cunninghame Graham.
|
|

Badminton champs 19511796 viewsFinalists in the annual Helensburgh and District Badminton Tournament at the now demolished Drill Hall in East Princes Street in 1951 are pictured. They are Edith Mercer, John Penny, Stuart McNeil, Nanny Troop, Hugh Orr, Ella McNeil, Jean Watt, Muriel Miller, J.Wilson, May Galloway, Gordon Priest, Ian Manderson, and Arthur Reece. Image supplied by John Penny (2nd from left).
|
|

Clyde Grocery1794 viewsRobert McIntosh Clyde, owner of the R.M.Clyde grocery at 64 and 66 West Princes Street, Helensburgh, is pictured outside the shop with members of his family. The red sandstone building was called Waverley Place, and was designed by Robert Wemyss and built in 1897, opposite the Post Office. His brother was Scotland's leading actor of his time, John Clyde. Image supplied by his great grandson, Alistair Paton.
|
|

Rossdhu House1794 viewsThe ancestral home of the Chiefs of the Clan Colquhoun at Luss, the stately Georgian mansion is now the clubhouse for the exclusive Loch Lomond Golf Club who lease the building and grounds from the Colquhoun family. Building of the central part of the mansion was started in 1772. Image circa 1908.
|
|

The Putting Green1793 viewsA view of the putting green and seafront from the pierhead, with two shelters further along the seafront.
This postcard is postmarked September 1954.
|
|

No Chaps!1789 viewsFive lady swimmers play dominoes in Helensburgh Outdoor Pool in the 1930s.
|
|

High Green winners1788 viewsPrizewinners at Helensburgh Bowling Club at their annual prizegiving in November 1964. Among those in the picture are William Cowe, John Omnet and James Gow.
|
|

Waverley at Helensburgh1788 viewsThe paddle steamer Waverley arrives at Helensburgh pier in the evening sunlight of June 22 2005 on the annual midsummer sail. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. Photo by Robert Ryan.
|
|

Tarbet Hotel, circa 19221786 viewsErected about 1810, the Tarbet Hotel was built in true Scottish baronial style with fine features both inside and out, and has been a mecca for visitors ever since.
|
|

Hill House sketch1783 viewsA 1991 pen and ink sketch of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House in Upper Colquhoun Street by university lecturer, landscape architect and designer Susan McFadzean, wife of architect Ronald McFadzean, author of ‘The Life and Work of Alexander Thomson’. It is a limited edition print, and is available from her at her home, 45 Earlspark Drive, Bieldside, Aberdeen, AB15 9AH. An unmounted print is £14.99 plus £2.99 postage and packing.
|
|

Caledonian no.1231782 viewsCaledonian locomotive no.123 pictured at the Helensburgh engine depot in 1948 during an excursion to mark the centenary of the Caledonian Railway. Built by Neilson & Co. in Springburn in 1886, she won a gold medal at the Edinburgh International Exhibition that year. In regular service, no.123 worked on the 101-mile Carlisle to Edinburgh section of the west coast route. She was withdrawn in 1935 and is now an exhibit at Glasgow's Transport Museum. Image supplied by the photographer, Donald McAllister.
|
|

Gun Club meets1782 viewsMembers of Dunbartonshire Gun Club gather at Geilston Farm, Cardross, on October 10 1969.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
34 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|