Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Craigendoran_Station_pier_platform.jpg
Steamers platform1808 viewsAn old image showing passengers making their way from the Glasgow-Helensburgh train down the platform towards the steamers at the pier. Image date unknown.
The-Barracks6.jpg
The Barracks1807 viewsA notorious property known as The Barracks, or Fugie's Property, which was on the west side of James Street between Princes Street and King Street roughly where the playpark now is, is pictured in the early stages of demolition in the 1890s. The 29 dwellings had housed railway employees and railway construction workers.
Sailing_Club_dance_1972.jpg
Helensburgh Sailing Club 19721807 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Sailing Club at their annual dance in the Queen's Hotel in February 1972.
Redtowers-interior-1-w.jpg
Redtower1806 viewsAn early interior image of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
HLTC_Juniors_19484.jpg
Junior tennis players1804 viewsEntrants for the first major junior tournament held by Helensburgh Lawn Tennis Club at its Suffolk Street courts in 1948.
1908-Helensburgh-Amateurs.jpg
1909 Helensburgh Amateurs1803 viewsIn this picture, taken at the Mossend playing field, now an area of housing, are back row: Jimmy Palmer, Willie Wilson, Jimmy Murray, John Laver, and goalkeeper Freddie Keith, Joe Keith, committee member Donald Laver, president Jackie Robertson — a foreign correspondent to trade, Peter McNeil and George Laver; middle row: Bob Campbell, Stevie Cameron, and Abe Reece; front row: Jimmy Smith, Neil Thomson, Duncan McNeil and Jimmy Jardine.
03a-w.jpg
School in wartime1803 viewsClass Junior 2 at Helensburgh's James Street School in February 1914. Image supplied by Marlyn Ritchie.
boatview.jpg
Seafront viewed from a boat1799 viewsThe clock tower is almost centre of the image. Undated.
Shields_Grocery6.jpg
East End Grocery1798 viewsThe 89 East Clyde Street premises of William Shields Jnr., family grocer, provision, tea and wine merchant, who also had a branch at Dunoon. The speciality was 'Nourish Invalid Stout", and his slogan was 'Quality the True Test of Cheapness'. Image circa 1910.
Helensburgh-Upper18.jpg
Helensburgh Upper Station1797 viewsA view of Helensburgh Upper Station in its heyday. A very deep cutting was excavated for the station on the West Highland Railway, which opened to traffic in 1894. Like all the local upper stations except Rhu, it was originally designed to look like a Swiss chalet, and it had its own coalyard to east of Sinclair Street where the Maclachlan Road flats are now. Image date unknown.
Bonar-Law-Benito-Mussolini-1922.jpg
Bonar Law with Mussolini1797 viewsA December 1922 image of French Prime Minister Raymond Poincaré and Andrew Bonar Law with Italian dictator Benito Mussolini and Belgian Prime Minister M.Theunis at 10 Downing Street.
Bus_crash1.jpg
Shandon Bus Crash1795 viewsA Garelochhead Coach Service double decker bus lies on the beach at Shandon after an accident on the old lochside road in November 1965. Andrew Shirley from Rhu, who is researching the Garelochhead bus companies, believes this bus is MXX 177, one of the former London Transport RT class operated by the firm. It was repaired and put back into service.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 33