| Most viewed - Heritage |

Whistler's Glen1880 viewsIllegal distilling was a feature in the Gareloch area until about 1830, and Whistler's Glen above Rhu was so named from the practice of signalling the approach of the Gauger or Exciseman. There was also a legitimate distillery at the foot of Whistler's Burn where Aldonaig now stands.
|
|

Cardross Station1880 viewsCardross Station prior to electrification. The building is the only local remnant of the original Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway which opened for traffic in 1858. Image date unknown.
|
|

Rhu Arden1880 viewsA 2013 image of Rhu Arden, 1 Upper Sutherland Crescent, Helensburgh, which was built about 1871 by noted architect William Leiper and was originally named Bonnington. Later he built his own home, Terpersie, next door. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
|
|

Donald MacLeod1879 viewsTailor Donald MacLeod is seen at the door of his shop at the junction of East Clyde Street and Maitland Street in Helensburgh. Donald also wrote 'A Nonogenarian's Guide to Garelochside and Helensburgh', based on what he had been told by his uncle Gabriel MacLeod, who was the nonogenarian. Image, circa 1900, supplied by a descendant, Molly Bradshaw of Kilcreggan.
|
|

Bowls at Shandon Hydro.1877 viewsTwo gentlemen are seen playing bowls on the lawn of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. Image circa 1905.
|
|

Early Helensburgh Station1876 viewsAn 1875 picture of Helensburgh Station in East Princes Street, built in 1856, which came into use when the railway reached Helensburgh in 1858. On the left is the Municipal Buildings.
|
|

Hermitage FP football team 1912-131872 viewsBack row: J.Gilmour, S.Carson, R.Duncan, R.Martin, J.MacFarlane, W.Buchanan, T.White, T.MacFarquhar. Front: Morrison, S.Brown, W.Roxborough, W.Wright, G.McLachlan, A.McCulloch, F.Duncan. Unfortunately there is a mark on the print covering the face of the player in the middle of the front row. This club was revived after the Second World War and offered several sports for a number of years. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
|
|

Yachts on the Clyde1871 viewsYachts sailing at Hunters Quay, Dunoon, sometime in the early 1900s. They are representative of the type of sailing yachts which would be seen in the Gareloch and the Clyde off Helensburgh.
|
|

Jubilant Ne'erday swimmers1871 viewsLily Finnighan, Helen McDonagh and Jenny Burgess celebrate after taking part in the 1953 Ne'erday Swim at Helensburgh pier. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
|
|

Helensburgh Putting Green1867 viewsDate unknown.
|
|

Toll Cottage1867 viewsThe Toll Cottage at the top of Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, which in 2018-19 was substantially expanded and modernised, and is now a private dwelling. On the left is the mansion Ardluss. During World War Two it was planned to situate a roadblock at the cottage, using old tramlines placed in prepared holes, to keep out German invaders. This 1962 image was taken by Stewart Noble.
|
|

W. & A.Smith, Butchers1865 viewsThe 93 East Clyde Street premises of Smith Butchers. They offered finest home-fed beef and mutton, lamb and veal in season. Specialities were corned beef, pickled tongues and sausages. Orders could be called for morning and evening. Image circa 1910.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
29 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|