| Most viewed - Heritage |

Larchfield School Form 4A 19582060 viewsBack row (from right): Colin Wearmouth, Graham Carver, John Blackie, Colin Service, John Grieve, Paul Robertson, Timothy Scott; front: John Wright, William Stewart Robertson, Michael Henderson, Mrs Simpson, Geoffrey Bamford, David Young, Kenneth Henderson.
|
|

Arrochar steamers2056 viewsPassengers can be seen boarding one of two steamers alongside Arrochar pier at the head of Loch Long. Image circa 1906.
|
|

Loch Long Torpedo Range2055 viewsThis picture, circa 1920, shows the Loch Long Torpedo Range which was in use from 1912-86. The building was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 2007. Activity at the range reached a peak during World War Two, with more than 12,000 torpedoes being fired down the loch in 1944.
|
|

West End United 19652054 viewsHelensburgh's West End United football team which took part in the Gareloch League, which also included teams from the Faslane base, Arrochar, Garelochhead, Rosneath and Kilcreggan. The club was run by secretary Jimmy Shields for ten years, and after his death the team folded. In January 1965 picture by well known burgh photographer Bill Benzie are (back) Mr Shields, W.Ross, J.Moffat, A.Dennett (capt), T.Griffiths, J.Smith, J.Cameron, (front) K.Johansson, j.Healey, J.Mackay, J.Scullion, B.Johnston.
|
|

Badminton champions2040 viewsHelensburgh and District Badminton Championships winners Frank Smith and Sheila Campbell receive their trophies from Mrs Rosina Williamson, wife of Provost J.McLeod Williamson, circa 1970.
|
|

Comet replica2040 viewsThis model of the 1962 Comet replica was made by Helensburgh and District Modellers Club who sailed it beside the pier during the bicentenary celebrations in Helensburgh on Saturday August 4. The club subsequently donated the model to Helensburgh Heritage Trust for display in the Heritage Centre in Helensburgh Library in West King Street. Photo by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Craigendoran Station pier platform2029 viewsThe platform at Craigendoran Station which brought trippers direct to the steamers at the pier, and one steamer can be seen. Both the station and the piers were built in 1882 after a plan to extend the Helensburgh line through the town centre to Helensburgh pier fell through because of local opposition. Image date unknown.
|
|

Helensburgh Company 9th Argylls2029 viewsThe Helensburgh Company of the 9th Argylls on the march on August 4 1914, with young admirers keeping pace. This image is from a booklet entitled 'With the 9th Argylls in France and Flanders', printed and published by Macneur & Bryden Ltd. in Helensburgh and donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust in 2010.
|
|

World War veterans2026 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the Clydeview, East Montrose Street, home of Lieutenant Colonel Archibald MacConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Soon after he donated his house to the Church of Scotland for use as an eventide home. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Thomas Garrity DCM, an accomplished drummer who taught many aspiring local drummers, is seated front far left.
|
|

Outdoor pool2025 viewsBuilt in 1928 as a gift from Provost Andrew Buchanan, beside the pier, the Helensburgh outdoor swimming pool was replaced in 1976 by an indoor pool on an adjacent site, and a year later the outdoor pool was closed. It was demolished in 1996 and replaced by a childrens play area. Image date unknown.
|
|

Bloomhill2023 viewsBloomhill at Cardross, circa 1910, with Whitton the coachman and the coach. The grade B listed mansion, built about 1838 for Alexander Ferrier, became a childrens home after the Second World War, and is now a care home. Image supplied by Colin Donald.
|
|

Bell Monument2022 viewsA sunny day in West Clyde Street at the Henry Bell monument, circa 1951.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
23 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|