Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
1897-Luss-pupils.jpg
Luss School 18972305 viewsThe pupils of Luss School in 1897 were photographed by the Rev T.E.Jubb, who was minister of Luss Parish Church for many years. The occasion was a school sports outing to the Games Park.
1970-Aerial-view-11.jpg
Town centre aerial view2304 viewsThis picture of the central part of Helensburgh is circa 1970.
Ardenvohr.jpg
Ardenvohr2304 viewsThe villa Ardenvohr at Rhu, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families, taken from the top of the Rhu Church tower. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image circa 1952.
Camis_Eskan_1972-2.jpg
Camis Eskan House2303 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Coaches_at_pier0291.jpg
Coaches at the pier2298 viewsThree coaches wait at Helensburgh pierhead for the arrival of the next steamer. Date unknown.
Rosneath_Castle_from_side.jpg
Rosneath Castle2291 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1903.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House2283 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Helensburgh-from-above_156.jpg
Helensburgh from above2277 viewsA colour version of a well known view of Helensburgh from above the Highlandman's road, with two steamers heading for Craigendoran pier, circa 1939.
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club2273 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
madeleinesmithmono-w9.jpg
The Trial of Madeleine Smith2259 viewsONE of the great tales of Scottish Law is the trial of Madeleine Smith for murder after a love affair which mostly took place in Rhu.
Madeleine was tried for the murder of her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier, at the High Court in Edinburgh. The trial began on June 30 1857, and finished on July 9. The case was found not proven, a unique Scottish verdict.
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east2256 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Rosneath-Castle-demolition.jpg
Rosneath Castle demolition2247 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961 — when this picture was taken.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 17