| Most viewed - Heritage |

Rhu School c.1908881 viewsThe teacher and pupils of Rhu Public School. More details would be welcome. Image supplied by Liz Sutherland.
|
|

Highland Games881 viewsAn antique stereo image showing dancers competing in the Highland Fling at Helensburgh Highland Games in the field in front of Ardencaple Castle, c.1890.
|
|

Princess Margaret in Burgh879 viewsPrincess Margaret visited the town to open the former Old Parish Church on Helensburgh seafront in its new incarnation as a Church of Scotland hostel for servicemen and women on March 29 1959.
|
|

2009 St Peter's877 viewsThe interior of the derelict St Peter's Seminary at Cardross — now the centre of a restoration project — pictured in 2009 by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Bannachra Castle877 viewsA colour version of the ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle was in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and was three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by the Lumsden family, which has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image c1940.
|
|

Clynder874 viewsClynder seen from the Gareloch. Image c1950.
|
|

Busy Gala872 viewsHelensburg swimming pool is packed with spectators for a Helensburgh Swimming Club gala c.1936 — and the East Bay beyond is equally busy with sunseekers.
|
|

TS Empress869 viewsA 1915 image of the raining ship Empress moored in the Gareloch, with its tender beyond. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
|
|

Shandon Station869 viewsShandon Station on the West Highland Line, which was opened in 1894. Like all the other local upper stations except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
|
|

!885 Clyde map869 viewsAn antique sketch map of the Clyde engraved by C.Perron.
|
|

867 views
|
|

Cardross Free Church863 viewsThe original Free Church of Scotland in Cardross. Today there is a house called 'Kirklands' at the south side of Main Road just to the west of its junction with Bainfield Road, and the church was on the site of what is now the garage of that house. The present church building on Station Road was built in 1872 and served as the Free Church of Scotland until 1929 when the Church of Scotland and the Free Church were united. As there were now two C of S congregations the former Free Church was given the name 'Burns Church'. This was the case until after World War Two when the two congregations were united to form Cardross Parish Church in the present building.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
169 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|