| Most viewed - Heritage |

Portincaple959 viewsAn old view of the Loch Longside fishing village of Portincaple. Image date unknown.
|
|

Rhu from Ardenconnel956 viewsAn old image of Rhu from Ardenconnel, now the home of Rhu Amateurs. Image date unknown.
|
|

Whole Wonder Wall956 viewsA tribute to John Logie Baird on the wall of the University of Strathclyde Graham Hills Building in George Street, Glasgow — one of a number of massive official murals. Appropriately, on the right is Dr Who's Tardis. Image supplied by Des Gorra.
|
|

Original clubhouse956 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.
|
|

Telechrome demo955 viewsJohn Logie Baird's August 1944 demonstration of the Telechrome, the world’s first cathode ray tube for colour television, was an historic event. The picture was large and bright, a great improvement over the small flickery images of the old mechanical system.
|
|

St Michael's Church954 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. it is Helensburgh's only grade A listed church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
|
|

Novelty card952 viewsA novelty card suggesting Helensburgh is a good place for romance! Image date unknown.
|
|

Shandon Church948 viewsBuilt in 1844 as Shandon Free Church, it became linked with Rhu Church in 1954. It continued in use until 1981 and was then converted into housing, with the height of the steeple being substantially reduced. Shandon Pier used to stand straight across the road from the church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
|
|

PS Kenilworth946 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return in 1936 she was the first of the Craigendoran fleet to acquire the grey hull and reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Image circa 1936.
|
|

For butter946 viewsThis pot was donated to the Heritage Trust by Tony Voght. It was used for selling butter by the Helensburgh seafront shop Lennox & Chapman, grocers and wine merchants.
|
|

Blue Train944 viewsA Blue Train approaching Cardross from Helensburgh, viewed from Coronation Park, Port Glasgow. Image, date unkniwn, © Thomas Nugent licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.
|
|

942 viewsCows graze in the field in front of Ardencaple Castle, the ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. All but one tower of the building was demolished in 1957, and a naval housing estate was built on the site. Image c.1911.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
165 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|