
|
Anderson Trust
|

|


|
|
THE Anderson Trust was established in 1980 on the death of Miss A.T.Anderson MBE to manage her bequest to the town of her private collection of paintings. Annie Templeton Anderson (1889-1980), known to all as Nance, was born and lived all her life in Helensburgh where her father had been Provost. The original collection comprised 34 paintings, all of which are associated with the area, either by artist or subject matter. Thanks to generous gifts of works from private donors, and some new purchases, the collection is continues to grow. In 1998 the Anderson Collection was given a permanent home in the new Helensburgh Library, in West King Street, and, with the co-operation of Argyll & Bute Library and Museum Services, the Trust is able to display a selection of paintings from the Collection, for six months every year, in the Upper Gallery of the Library.
16 files, last one added on Feb 04, 2023 Album viewed 5440 times
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

| Random files - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Peninsula colours2957 viewsColours are presented to the Rosneath Peninsula Boy Scout companies in 1914. Standing: J.McIntyre, Cove and Kilcreggan scoutmaster Mr Rae, Rosneath scoutmaster Mr Young, W.McGruer, G.Silver; front: G.Fleming, A.MacKenzie, J.Young, J.Keir, A.McGrouther.
|
|

Band of Hope1361 viewsThere was a large attendance at the Band of Hope garden party and conference at Cairndhu House, Helensburgh, on June 6 1908. The Band of Hope, a temperance organisation for working-class children, was founded in Leeds in 1847. All members took a pledge of total abstinence and were taught the 'evils of drink'. Members were enrolled from the age of six and met once a week to listen to lectures and participate in activities. Music played an important role and competitions were held between different Band of Hope choirs. Members of the local Temperance Societies also organised outings for the children, and with the growth of the railways, trips were arranged to the nearest coastal resorts.
|
|

Provost's chain1113 viewsA large engraved link which hangs at the foot of the Helensburgh Provost's chain of office. Possibly presented in 1812, the chain marks to the right the first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, who served from 1802, the year the town became a Burgh of Barony, to 1809, and to the left Norman M.Glen, the last Provost, who served from 1970-75. Photo by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Lucy Ashton at Helensburgh1334 viewsThe 200 ton steamer Lucy Ashton, built in 1888, leaves Helensburgh pier for Craigendoran. Image date unknown, but before the outdoor swimming pool was built in 1928.
|
|

Theatre Arts Triumph1398 viewsMrs Vera McIntyre, producer of Helensburgh Theatre Arts Club's production of Lesley Storm's 'Roar Like A Dove', receives the Robert Dickson Memorial Trophy at a ceremony in the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow on May 1 1965. The winter production won the Scottish Community Drama Association's Dunbartonshire Three Act Play Festival, and some 40 members, including hon president Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife, went to see the presentation.
|
|

Cairndhu carving1851 viewsA cafrving high on the wall of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Arden Post Office775 viewsThe Post Office building at Arden was demolished in the 1980s to make way for a series of road improvements, which culminated in the creation of the Arden roundabout on the A82. Image date unknown.
|
|

Wonder of Woolies-12161 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff outside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.
|
|

| Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Helensburgh Pier - unknown artist3753 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

Steamboat on the Clyde - William Daniell4239 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran - Ian Plenderleath8176 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

2647 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

2452 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

2666 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

Provost's Lamps3121 views It was a tradition that provosts of Helensburgh had a special lamp post erected outside their house during their term of office. This photograph shows the two lamp posts which stood outside Billy Petrie's house at Segton, John Street at the time of his death in 2022. The coats of arms on the glass are for Dunbartonshire County Council, Dumbarton District Council, Argyll and Bute Council, and Strathclyde Regional Council. He had been provost of the first three of these councils, but not of the last - quite probably a unique state of affairs. Nov 14, 2022
|
|

New Era for swimmers2977 viewsThe town's first indoor swimming pool being demolished in September 2022, following the opening of the new indoor swimming pool a few days earlier. The pool had been opened in 1977 Provost Billy Petrie. Photo by Stewart NobleOct 23, 2022
|
|

|