Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,954
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

48 files, last one added on Oct 18, 2019
Album viewed 166 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 94 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 88 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 160 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 162 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 87 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 88 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 83 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 127 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 111 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 92 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 152 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 149 times

Places — District


Tamnavoulin-SN-3-w.jpg

225 files, last one added on Oct 16, 2019
Album viewed 130 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 86 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 100 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 101 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 124 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 110 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 93 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 129 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 109 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,954 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,795,535 times

Random files
05a-w.jpg
Inspection641 viewsA party of local dignitaries on a water reservoirs inspection, arrive at Inverbeg Hotel on Loch Lomondside in 1923. Image supplied by Marlyn Ritchie, whose grandfather David Wilson was the owner and driver of the Packard 15 horse power vehicle.
Advertiser-staff5071.jpg
Advertiser staff843 viewsThe Rev Murdoch McPherson conducts a radio interview for the BBC in the Helensburgh Advertiser editorial office in East King Street in the late 1960s. From left: Gordon Terris, Bill Heaney, proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey, Mr McPherson, Angela Sandeman, Jimmy Allan.
Cairndhu,-Ferniegair~0.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair2052 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, circa 1945.
1946-Helensburgh-Cubs-w.jpg
3rd Helensburgh Cubs714 viewsA 1946 group of Helensburgh Cubs. Top row (from left): Teddy McEwan, Jim Steel, Jim Spence, Norman Fagan, Billy Dixon, Robert Watt, Gordon Hamilton, Sandy Wright, ?, Robin Adair, Cosmo Fraser, Gordon Grant; second row: Scott Milne, Jim Aitken, John Oswald, Graham Scott, Charlie Dickens, ?, Gordon Peebles, Tony McAuley, Alister McLeod and (first name unknown) Norvel, Jim Kennedy, Robert Burns; third row: Willie Thomson, Hugh Abraham, Billy Campbell, Campbell Jardine, Mary Brough, ?, Miss Murdoch, ?, ?, Gordon Fraser, Clark Gibson, Douglas Lamb, Leo Hendry; front row: Tony Wright, Sandy Peters, Angus Tran, Jim Campbell, Jim McNeil, Donald Cameron, Iain Campbell, Kenneth Gibson, ?, David Griffith. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
1948-busy-seafront.jpg
Busy seafront1324 viewsThe bunting is up and the crowds are out on West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, on a sunny summer day. Image circa 1948.
Clan-Colquhoun-Pipe-Band~0.jpg
Clan Colquhoun Pipe Band1006 viewsThe Helensburgh-based Clan Colquhoun Pipe Band outside Clyde Street School in 1952. Back: Jimmy Simpson, Ian Laurie, Dougie Martin, Tommy Williams, Malcolm Gilmour, Mick Thrule, Jimmy Martin; front: Pipe Major Archie McNicol, John Cameron, Robert Toole, Andy Clark, Tom McDougall, Jim Gunn. Two members missing from the picture were A.McLean and John Boyle.
Lucy_Ashton_at_war276.jpg
Lucy Ashton at war737 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars, and is pictured on the Clyde during the Second World War. She made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
Queen_s-Hotel-w.jpg
Queen's Hotel515 viewsThe Queen's Hotel on Helensburgh eastern seafront was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.

Last additions
Glen-at-Glen-Drive-w.jpg
His street3 viewsHelensburgh's last Provost, the late Norman M.Glen, in front of the street named after him. Photo by the late Kenneth Crawford.Oct 18, 2019
Tamnavoulin-SN-3-w.jpg
Tamnavoulin5 viewsThe historic Glen Fruin cottage Tamnavoulin, pictured by Stewart Noble in 2015, the year it was bought for redevelopment. The name of the small cottage derives from the Gaelic for ‘hill of the mill’. The vicinity of the cottage is thought to have been the site of a dwelling as far back as the 15th century, while one account gives the date of the present building as early 19th century.Oct 16, 2019
Tamnavoulin-SN-1-w~1.jpg
Tamnavoulin5 viewsThe historic Glen Fruin cottage Tamnavoulin, pictured by Stewart Noble in 2015, the year it was bought for redevelopment. The name of the small cottage derives from the Gaelic for ‘hill of the mill’. The vicinity of the cottage is thought to have been the site of a dwelling as far back as the 15th century, while one account gives the date of the present building as early 19th century.Oct 16, 2019
Tamnavoulin-SN-2-w.jpg
Tamnavoulin48 viewsThe historic Glen Fruin cottage Tamnavoulin, pictured by Stewart Noble in 2015, the year it was bought for redevelopment. The name of the small cottage derives from the Gaelic for ‘hill of the mill’. The vicinity of the cottage is thought to have been the site of a dwelling as far back as the 15th century, while one account gives the date of the present building as early 19th century.Oct 16, 2019
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront263 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse324 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit142 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed98 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019