Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Park_mansion.jpg
Hermitage House2681 viewsHome of the Cramb family who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750. During World War One it was used as an auxiliary hospital, before becoming an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
AT_Unknown_artist_Helensburgh_Pier~0.jpg
Helensburgh Pier - unknown artist2668 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House2656 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
ardencaplecastle1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle2650 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. Image from a postcard dated 1901.
Buchanan-MacDonald2332.jpg
Buchanan and MacDonald2650 viewsHelensburgh-born entertainer Jack Buchanan with co-star Jeanette MacDonald in this 1930 Paramount Pictures movie publicity shot for the Ernst Lubitsch production of 'Monte Carlo'. She is saying: “I'll never let him go away again — never.”
Cairndhu,-Ferniegair~0.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair2641 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, circa 1945.
1914-Rosneath-scout-colours-w.jpg
Peninsula colours2640 viewsColours are presented to the Rosneath Peninsula Boy Scout companies in 1914. Standing: J.McIntyre, Cove and Kilcreggan scoutmaster Mr Rae, Rosneath scoutmaster Mr Young, W.McGruer, G.Silver; front: G.Fleming, A.MacKenzie, J.Young, J.Keir, A.McGrouther.
Hermitage-9-06_087.jpg
Academy opening2632 viewsAmerican guest Dr John Jackson speaks at the opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008. He said a few words of greeting on behalf of the school's international links.
Hartfield_House1711.jpg
Hartfield House2629 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
The-Ragged-School.jpg
The Ragged School2629 viewsHelensburgh's first school was Grant Street School — also known as the Ragged School or the Industrial School — at the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. It dates back to 1853 when Government funds were obtained for the erection of a school, and in 1873 it became the responsibility of the Row (Rhu) School Board. It was replaced by Clyde Street School in 1903, and the land was built on in an expansion of the Gas Works.
Coronation1953.jpg
Coronation tree planting2622 viewsAlex Douglas, headmaster of Clyde Street School, teacher Miss Laing, and some of their pupils plant a tree outside 27 East Montrose Street, Helensburgh, to mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth on June 2 1953. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, now of Ontario, Canada, who is the boy holding the shovel, and taken by Alexandria press photographer Peter Leddy.
1946-Helensburgh-Cubs-w.jpg
3rd Helensburgh Cubs2609 viewsA 1946 group of Helensburgh Cubs. Top row (from left): Teddy McEwan, Jim Steel, Jim Spence, Norman Fagan, Billy Dixon, Robert Watt, Gordon Hamilton, Sandy Wright, ?, Robin Adair, Cosmo Fraser, Gordon Grant; second row: Scott Milne, Jim Aitken, John Oswald, Graham Scott, Charlie Dickens, ?, Gordon Peebles, Tony McAuley, Alister McLeod and (first name unknown) Norvel, Jim Kennedy, Robert Burns; third row: Willie Thomson, Hugh Abraham, Billy Campbell, Campbell Jardine, Mary Brough, ?, Miss Murdoch, ?, ?, Gordon Fraser, Clark Gibson, Douglas Lamb, Leo Hendry; front row: Tony Wright, Sandy Peters, Angus Tran, Jim Campbell, Jim McNeil, Donald Cameron, Iain Campbell, Kenneth Gibson, ?, David Griffith. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 9