| Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Landing Craft1471 viewsTwo Army Landing Craft moored at the pier are seen from the Henry Bell obelisk on Helensburgh seafront. They were used to supply the Benbecula Rocket Range in the Outer Hebrides, collecting supplies from Rhu Hangars, and after complaints from Helensburgh people about noise from their generators they were moved to Rhu Hangars. Image circa 1965 supplied by Marion Gillies.
|
|

Cairndhu pillar1471 viewsA pillar at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Helensburgh Captain's XV1471 viewsThe Helensburgh Rugby Club Captain's XV before they played a President's XV in a New Year's Day game in the mid to late 1970's. Back row: Pete Foster, Peter McIntyre, Tony Rudd, Mike McIntyre, Julian Rey, Dusty Millar, 'Giff' Bradley, Pete Ramsey, David Jones, Alistair Baird; front: Sandy Louden (captain), Alan Twigg, David Higgins, Dave Muir, 'Pussy' Pender, Gordon Johnston, Jamie Lightbody. Image supplied by David Jones.
|
|

View from pier1471 viewsAn 1880s image by James Valentine of the fishing boats on the beach and Helensburgh's west seafront.
|
|

Helensburgh from above1470 viewsA view of Helensburgh from above the Highlandman's Road, as a steamer makes it way to Craigendoran Pier. Image date unknown.
|
|

V3 67679 at Helensburgh1470 viewsThe 86-ton Gresley designed V3 engine 67679, from a class introduced in 1939, at Helensburgh Central Station before a journey to Bridgeton Cross in July 1954.
|
|

The Northern Belle1469 viewsA special excursion with a steam locomotive emblazoned with the name The Northern Belle waits at the pier platform at Craigendoran Station for passengers to alight from steamers. It was a week-long luxury round Britain excursion first introduced in 1933 by the London and North Eastern Railway using Pullman coaches, run four time each summer until the outbreak of World War Two. Image date unknown.
|
|

West Princes Street1469 viewsThis postcard is titled East Princess (two obvious mistakes!) Street looking east. The building on the right is now the Royal Bank of Scotland, and the nearest shop on the left is now Anne Of Loudounville. The fences either side form part of Colquhoun Square. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut, date unknown.
|
|

Drimard1469 viewsDrimard in West Lennox Drive, Helensburgh, when it was the home of J.Douglas Hume. Designed by David Bateman Hutton, it was built in 1926.
|
|

Helensburgh Pier1468 viewsA sunny day on the pier, with coloured lights running the length of the pier. Date unknown. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
|
|

Colquhoun Square1468 viewsThe north west quadrant of Helensburgh's Colquhoun Square before the centenary monument was erected in the middle of the square. Image circa 1901.
|
|

Hermitage Prefects 19551468 viewsBack row (from left): Gordon Fraser, Tony Wright, Jim Maxwell, George Douglas, Alan Dunwoodie, Esme White, Josephine Park, Alistair McPherson, Margaret Johnstone, Bobby Lindsay, Sandy Peters, Stewart Douglas, Ian Paul; middle: Margaret McCulloch, Dykes Carswell, Margaret Rice, George Turnbull, Kathleen Turnbull, Neil Burgess, Katherine Taylor, Jimmy MacDonald, Isobel Thorburn, Stewart Clark, Florence Hendry, David Gall; front: Helen Orr, Joyce Mitchell, Ann Jardine, Isobel Thornton, Douglas Lamb, Headmaster George Mutch, Gillian Mutch, Megan Boak, Eleanor "Nelly" Kirkpatrick, Judith Peel, Elma Davis. Image kindly supplied by Gordon Fraser.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
45 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|