| Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Photographer Robert Thorburn1614 viewsRobert Thorburn was a grocer shop manager and a very keen photographer. He moved to Helensburgh before 1900, and was resident at 24 East Princes Street on March 2 1900 when he married Christina Graham, of 29 James Street. His age at the time of his marriage was given as 27, and he lived in Helensburgh until his death in 1945.
|
|

Ardencaple1612 viewsAn old picture of Ardencaple. Date unknown.
|
|

Helensburgh Upper Station1612 viewsA view of Helensburgh Upper Station in its heyday. A very deep cutting was excavated for the station on the West Highland Railway, which opened to traffic in 1894. Like all the local upper stations except Rhu, it was originally designed to look like a Swiss chalet, and it had its own coalyard to east of Sinclair Street where the Maclachlan Road flats are now. Image date unknown.
|
|

High Green winners1610 viewsPrizewinners at Helensburgh Bowling Club at their annual prizegiving in November 1964. Among those in the picture are William Cowe, John Omnet and James Gow.
|
|

19th Century Portrait1608 viewsThe identity of these two ladies, photographed by Young, Photographer, William Street, Helensburgh, in the 1860s is not known.
|
|

Badminton champs 19511607 viewsFinalists in the annual Helensburgh and District Badminton Tournament at the now demolished Drill Hall in East Princes Street in 1951 are pictured. They are Edith Mercer, John Penny, Stuart McNeil, Nanny Troop, Hugh Orr, Ella McNeil, Jean Watt, Muriel Miller, J.Wilson, May Galloway, Gordon Priest, Ian Manderson, and Arthur Reece. Image supplied by John Penny (2nd from left).
|
|

Knockderry Castle1607 viewsA 1902 image of Knockderry Castle, high above the Cove shore. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, the Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
|
|

W.Cook, Tailor1606 viewsThe 44 West Princes Street premises of W.Cook, Ladies' and Gentlemen's Tailor. He offered riding breeches, liveries, uniforms, Highland costumes, and always had on hand a large and well-selected stock of tweeds, worsteds, serges, Harris and homespun materials.
|
|

1909 Helensburgh Amateurs1606 viewsIn this picture, taken at the Mossend playing field, now an area of housing, are back row: Jimmy Palmer, Willie Wilson, Jimmy Murray, John Laver, and goalkeeper Freddie Keith, Joe Keith, committee member Donald Laver, president Jackie Robertson — a foreign correspondent to trade, Peter McNeil and George Laver; middle row: Bob Campbell, Stevie Cameron, and Abe Reece; front row: Jimmy Smith, Neil Thomson, Duncan McNeil and Jimmy Jardine.
|
|

East End Grocery1605 viewsThe 89 East Clyde Street premises of William Shields Jnr., family grocer, provision, tea and wine merchant, who also had a branch at Dunoon. The speciality was 'Nourish Invalid Stout", and his slogan was 'Quality the True Test of Cheapness'. Image circa 1910.
|
|

Waverley at Helensburgh1605 viewsThe paddle steamer Waverley arrives at Helensburgh pier in the evening sunlight of June 22 2005 on the annual midsummer sail. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. Photo by Robert Ryan.
|
|

Hill House1605 viewsThe Drawing Room fireplace in The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie in 1902.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
32 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|