| Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Loch Long Torpedo Range1834 viewsThis picture, circa 1920, shows the Loch Long Torpedo Range which was in use from 1912-86. The building was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 2007. Activity at the range reached a peak during World War Two, with more than 12,000 torpedoes being fired down the loch in 1944.
|
|

Comet replica1831 viewsThis model of the 1962 Comet replica was made by Helensburgh and District Modellers Club who sailed it beside the pier during the bicentenary celebrations in Helensburgh on Saturday August 4. The club subsequently donated the model to Helensburgh Heritage Trust for display in the Heritage Centre in Helensburgh Library in West King Street. Photo by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Outdoor pool1828 viewsBuilt in 1928 as a gift from Provost Andrew Buchanan, beside the pier, the Helensburgh outdoor swimming pool was replaced in 1976 by an indoor pool on an adjacent site, and a year later the outdoor pool was closed. It was demolished in 1996 and replaced by a childrens play area. Image date unknown.
|
|

Evening Out1826 viewsA group of Helensburgh ladies enjoy an evening out, circa 1933.
|
|

World War veterans1824 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the Clydeview, East Montrose Street, home of Lieutenant Colonel Archibald MacConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Soon after he donated his house to the Church of Scotland for use as an eventide home. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Thomas Garrity DCM, an accomplished drummer who taught many aspiring local drummers, is seated front far left.
|
|

Redtower1818 viewsAn early image of the dining room of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
|
|

The RAF Heinkel1808 viewsThis photo by World War Two photographer Bob Bird shows a German Heinkel aircraft from the Marine Aircraft Experimental Research Establishment at Rhu in flight as an RAF aircraft. It was one of two Heinkel He 115 floatplanes modified by MAEE and Scottish Aviation to fly agents into Europe. Reproduced by kind permission of Robin Bird, who wrote ‘Top Secret War Bird of World War Two’ about his father.
|
|

Bloomhill1806 viewsBloomhill at Cardross, circa 1910, with Whitton the coachman and the coach. The grade B listed mansion, built about 1838 for Alexander Ferrier, became a childrens home after the Second World War, and is now a care home. Image supplied by Colin Donald.
|
|

Swimmers Party1802 viewsA Helensburgh Swimming Club Party in the Pillar Hall in the 1950s. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
|
|

Cardross class?1800 viewsA FORMER Helensburgh woman who now lives in Shetland is trying to find out more about her family history through this photograph. Cathy Shearer thinks that her mother told her that the photo was taken at Cardross School in the late 1890s. She believes that her grandfather, Robert Colquhoun, who was born at Auchensail Farm in 1884, is standing in the back row, second from the left. The photograph was taken and mounted by M.Pearlman & Co., of Glasgow, Paisley and Rothesay. If you have any more details please email the editor of this website.
|
|

Helensburgh Municipal Buildings1798 viewsIncluded a police station with cells, and a theatre above. Still used as official buildings - even has a postbox in the same place in front of the building. Could it be the same postbox?
|
|

Camis Eskan Market Garden1797 viewsPart of the gardens at Camis Eskan during World War Two. Photo by kind permission of Sheila Penny.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
23 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|