Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Bathing-huts-w.jpg
Beach huts522 viewsHuts provide shelter from the sun on Helensburgh beach just to the west of the pier. Image from 1933.
Whistlefield-Brae-c_1900-w.jpg
Whistlefield Brae520 viewsThe Whistlefield Brae looking up the hill from Garelochhead. Image c.1900 by courtesy of the Helensburgh Memories website.
WW1-Rhu-Parade-w.jpg
Marching to Rhu518 viewsThe Helensburgh Citizen Training Force marches past Pier Road, Rhu, led by members of the Helensburgh Clan Colquhoun Pipe Band, during World War One. Image supplied by Eric McArthur who suspects the gentleman on the grass verge with the black suit and black hat and walking stick could be his grandfather, Alexander Macarthur, who lived at 56 John Street. The object of the Citizen Training Force was to provide military training for men ineligible for business or other valid reasons to enlist in the Forces.
Fruin_flowers.jpg
Fruin flowers518 viewsPhotograph of his wife, Christina Graham from Rhu, and children Graham and Mabel picking flowers in Glen Fruin, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.
1984-Greenock-Festival-w.jpg
Festival winners515 viewsThe winning Helensburgh mixed team in the Scottish country dancing competition at the 1984 Inverclyde Music Festival in Greenock Town Hall. Back: Ian Hume, Jack Gregor, George Rennie; front: Anne Thorn, Dinah Buchanan. Image supplied by Anne Thorn.
Uries-West-Clyde-Street-w.jpg
Oldest surviving shop515 viewsThis image of West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, shows the town's longest surviving retail business, R & A Urie Ltd., China and Crystalware Specialist, at no.45, established in the town in 1854. Image c.1950.
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above512 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.
1938-swimming-pool-w.jpg
Outdoor pool512 viewsTwo swimmers on the slide at Helensburgh Outdoor Pool in August 1938.
Queen_s-Hotel-w~0.jpg
Queen's Hotel512 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Herm_Hospital_patients.jpg
Smiling patients510 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street. Image dated 1915.
Peaton_Hill.jpg
Peaton Hill510 viewsLooking down Peaton Road to the Gareloch and a merchant ship. Image c.1945 by A.C.Turner, Clynder.
1928-Motorman_s-Outing-w.jpg
1928 Motorman's Outing510 viewsA Motorman's (Engine Drivers) Outing on July 6 1928. In the back seat of the charabanc is Provost John Sommerville, himself an engine driver on the West Highland Line. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 174