| Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Pier awash908 viewsHelensburgh pier is underwater during a storm in January 1999. Photo kindly supplied by Iain Duncan.
|
|

Civic heads908 viewsThe Queen Mother talks to Cove and Kilcreggan Provost James M.Roy at the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane in May 1968. On his right are Helensburgh Provost J.McLeod Williamson and Helensburgh District Council chairman Max Wilkinson. Photo by Hector Cameron.
|
|

Looking towards Rhu907 viewsA view of the Gareloch from Kidston Park looking towards the Ardencaple Inn, circa 1906. In the background top right is the mansion Glenoran, which was demolished in the 1960s.
|
|

Glasgow speech907 viewsAndrew Bonar Law speaks to 1,000 of his party faithful at a meeting in the St Andrew's Hall, Glasgow, in October 1922. He set forth the principles on which his party stood, and devoted the opening of his speech to an explanation of how he came to resume the leadership of his party. This came about, he said, when he realised that the Coalition was losing ground and a split was inevitable.
|
|

Sir James Colquhoun907 viewsA portrait of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss — who was succeeded by four others bearing the same name — who bought what was then Milligs and decided to develop it into what became Helensburgh, which was named after his wife Lady Helen. The portrait is believed to be by David Martin (1737-97), a painter of over 300 portraits and engraver. Born in Anstruther, Fife, he studied in London and Italy before gaining a reputation as a portrait painter. Image by courtesy of the current Baronet and Chief of Clan Colquhoun, Sir Malcolm Colquhoun of Luss.
|
|

Sunday School trip-1906 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
|
|

Shandon from pier906 viewsShandon Pier, which was demolished in 1980, with Shandon Church beyond. It became linked with Rhu Church in 1954, which led to full union in 1971. It ceased to be a church in 1981, and was converted into dwellings. Image circa 1908.
|
|

Two Provosts meet906 viewsHelensburgh Provost J.McLeod Williamson (right) greets his opposite number from Port Glasgow — both in costume — after the Comet replica steamed across the Clyde to the burgh as part of the 1962 Comet 150th anniversary celebrations. They then adjourned for lunch at the Queen's Hotel, formerly Henry Bell's Baths Hotel.
|
|

The Clachan906 viewsThe Clachan area of Rosneath, with the school on the right and St Modan's Church on the left. Image date not known.
|
|

Steamer then minesweeper906 viewsThe Clyde steel paddle steamer Redgauntlet, built in 1895 for the North British Steam Packet Co. at Craigendoran and launched on April 4, is pictured at the Isle of May. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, at their Clydeholm Yard, and in May 1909 passed to the Galloway Saloon Steam Packet Co. for its Firth of Forth service. On May 4 1916 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as a minesweeper and was based in Grimsby and commissioned as HMS Redgauntlet II. The following year she was bought by the Royal Navy, and two years later sold to French owners and registered in Algeria. It is believed that she was scrapped in 1934.
|
|

Glen Fruin cattle905 viewsCows meander through Glen Fruin. Image published by Stewart Stationer, Helensburgh, circa 1918.
|
|

Rhu from Mill Bay904 viewsA very old picture of Rhu Bay from Mill Bay, Rosneath, as a steamer passes, published for Winton, Stationer. (Post Office) Rhu, Gareloch. Image date unknown.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
148 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|