| Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Comet replica 1962921 viewsThe Comet replica, built by apprentices at William Lithgow at Port Glasgow for the 150th anniversary of the first sailing of Henry Bell's Comet, Europe's first commercial steamship, is seen setting off from Port Glasgow before steaming across the Clyde accompanied by a fleet of yachts. To mark the anniversary, the replica sailed from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh, with civic dignitaries on board in costume for 1812. Image taken and supplied by Jim Bamber.
|
|

The first Waverley921 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image circa 1925.
|
|

West Princes Street921 viewsChildren prepare to cross West Princes Street, Helensburgh, at John Street. Image circa 1916.
|
|

St Michael's Church920 viewsThe interior of St Michael and All Angels Church in West Princes Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1909.
|
|

Provost's chain920 viewsThe medallion which hangs at the foot of the Helensburgh Provost's chain of office. It states Burgh of Helensburgh 1802, the year the town became a Burgh of Barony. Photo by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Baird by Conroy919 viewsHelensburgh artist Stephen Conroy painted this portrait of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was specially commissioned by the Scottish Post Office Board to paint six portraits for a postcard series to celebrate the contribution Scots have made to communication, in the year of 1989 when the first Edinburgh Festival of Science and Technology took 'communication' as its theme.
|
|

Cobbler summit919 viewsA 1935 image of the summit of the Cobbler mountain near the head of Loch Long at Arrochar, also known as Ben Arthur. It is called the Cobbler because of its resemblance, from a distance, to a cobbler at work.
|
|

Cardross Old Parish Church919 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. This image taken from the main road was supplied by Donald Fullarton.
|
|

Arrochar Church919 viewsThe present Arrochar Parish Church was built in 1847, but it had fallen into such a bad state of repair that in 1998 it was declared to be too dangerous to enter. However the community worked tirelessly to change this situation, with the result that it was reopened for worship in the following year. The parish of Arrochar was established in 1659, but no church was built until 1773 and the ruins of this earlier church stand alongside the present church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
|
|

Rhu from Rosneath918 viewsA view of Rhu village from the other side of the Gareloch, published as a postcard by Winton, Stationer, of Rhu Post Office. Circa 1905.
|
|

Loch Lomond918 viewsAn aerial view of Loch Lomond, which is 23 miles long and, at its widest, five miles wide. To the left is the 3,192 feet Ben Lomond. Image circa 1982.
|
|

Forbidding sky918 viewsA forbidding sky beyond HMS Pursuer during the bicentenary celebrations off Helensburgh pier on Saturday August 4 2012. Photo by Neil MacLeod.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
144 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|