| Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Colquhoun Square962 viewsA 1926 image of Helensburgh's Colquhoun Square, looking north east from the south west quadrant where the water fountain was situated for some years.
|
|

962 viewsAlexander Nisbet Paterson Sketching, by his brother James Paterson. Copyright the Anderson (Local Collection) Trust.
|
|

Seafront bandstand961 viewsA view of the Helensburgh seafront bandstand with the Granary building and Old Parish Church beyond. Image circa 1906.
|
|

Church sold961 viewsHelensburgh's Church of Christ, Scientist, in West Princes Street, was designed in 1956 by Margaret Brodie. The First Church of Christ, Scientist had its beginnings in Helensburgh in 1910, and a plot of ground at 138-144 West Princes Street was bought in 1946; ten years later a church was built there. By 2015 the building was closed and for sale, and it was bought by a firm of architects who announced two2 years later that they would convert it into flats. 2015 image by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Portrait961 viewsA photographic portrait of Helensburgh-born TV inventor John Logie Baird. Image date unknown.
|
|

Rosneath from Rhu960 viewsA steamer, possibly the Lucy Ashton, is seen passing Ferry Inn at Rosneath. Image circa 1920.
|
|

Town centre from the pier960 viewsThis image shows the town centre from the pier, with the outdoor swimming pool, bandstand, Granary, and the Old Parish Church. Image date unknown.
|
|

Library exhibition960 viewsThe scene at the opening of the Henry Bell and the Comet Exhibition, compiled by Doris Gentles, in Helensburgh Library on Friday August 3. Photo by Pat McCann.
|
|

Two steam boats960 viewsThe little steam boats Silkie and Talisker on their voyage from Rhu Marina to Helensburgh pier as part of the bicentenary celebrations on Saturday August 4 2012. Photo by Kenneth Speirs.
|
|

Hastings experiment960 viewsJohn Logie Baird working at Hastings, circa 1924.
|
|

Sketch of St Bride's Church960 viewsA sketch of St Bride's Church, which stood in West King Street at the junction with John Street. It is from the book 'Sketches of Churches and Clergy, published by Macneur and Bryden Ltd. of Helensburgh in 1889. Originally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
|
|

Maggie Hamilton959 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and she is seen here with their children Alistair and Viola outside their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
135 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|