| Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery |

Comet replica 1962966 viewsThe Comet replica, built by apprentices at William Lithgow at Port Glasgow for the 150th anniversary of the first sailing of Henry Bell's Comet, Europe's first commercial steamship, is seen steaming across the Clyde accompanied by a fleet of yachts. To mark the anniversary, the replica sailed from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh, with civic dignitaries on board in costume for 1812. Image taken and supplied by Jim Bamber.
|
|

St Michael's Church966 viewsSir Robert Rowan Anderson, a pupil of George Gilbert Scott, designed St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church, at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street, and maintained an interest in the subsequent decorative additions. Amongst the important contributors to the cost of its erection in 1867 was William Gladstone. Image published by M.C.Robertson, West End Library, Helensburgh, circa 1912.
|
|

Gareloch from Ardencaple966 viewsA view of the Gareloch from Ardencaple, showing the Training Ship Empress and the steamer Lucy Ashton. Image date unknown.
|
|

1st Cardross Cub Pack c.1947/8966 viewsBack row (from left): ?, Andrew Thomson, Martin Carrie, Bruce Kelly, Willie McSporran, Donald Maclean, John Sofio, Neil Campbell, Donald McSporran; middle row: ?, Hugh Davie, Bobby Brown, Alec Davie, Ian McLeod, Jimmy MacDonald, Robert Paterson, Bill Clow, Freddy Ashman; front: Jim McPherson, Neil Shaw, Duncan Bulloch, Elspeth MacArthur?, Archie Mills, May Campbell, Andrew Mackie, Walter Ashman, Donald McNair. Missing names would be welcomed. Image supplied by Donald Maclean.
|
|

View from east966 viewsAn unusual view of Helensburgh from the east. Image date unknown.
|
|

Head of Loch Lomond965 viewsA view of the head of Loch Lomond. Image circa 1905.
|
|

World War Two Sea Cadets965 viewsHelensburgh's Ajax Company of the Sea Cadet Corps pictured at their 1944 Summer Camp at Stanley Park, Blackpool. Back row: ?, William Hardy, Hugh Dawson, Ian McPhail, George Hood, William Fyfe, William Daly, ? Dewar, ?; middle: Alastair Clow, ? McKechnie, Jim Hosie, Thomas Dickson, Lieutenant McLean, William Paterson, Thomas Dawson, Robert Hailstones, ?; seated: Leslie Ward, Thomas Isbister, ?. Image supplied by Robert Hailstones.
|
|

Upper Sinclair Street964 viewsA sunlit evening view of Upper Sinclair Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1950.
|
|

The Clydesdale Bank964 viewsIn 1857, the Clydesdale Banking Company opened in the premises held by the Western Bank, with the enterprising agent of the closed establishment, Mr Orr, as their manager, and shortly afterwards they built these handsome offices in James Street. The presence of the metal railings outside the bank show that the photo was taken before the Second World War, as metal railings were removed during the war as part of the war effort. The bank is covered in flags, probably to commemorate either the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 or the Coronation of George VI two years later. This photo was given to the Trust by a Clydesdale employee when the branch closed.
|
|

Seafront looking east962 viewsThis view eastwards from the pier shows a busy beach, the bandstand, shows, the Granary and the Old Parish Church, with the Queen's Hotel in the distance. Image date unknown.
|
|

1962 celebrations962 viewsA coach carrying local dignitaries in costume, including Provost J.McLeod Williamson, arrives at the Queen's Hotel, which as the Baths Hotel had been opened and operated by Henry Bell and his wife. They had just made the trip across the Firth to Helensburgh pier on board the Comet replica. This cutting from the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times was supplied by Bruce Benson.
|
|

Kintillo962 viewsKintillo in Suffolk Street, Helensburgh, the home of Andrew Bonar Law and his wife Annie. He employed famous architect William Leiper to add a billiard room, and they lived there until 1909 when the family moved to London. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
134 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|