Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Hermitage_Secondary_1B_1956.jpg
Hermitage Secondary 1B 19562771 viewsBack row: Colin McCallum, X, Ian McAulay, X, Jim Jack, X, X, David Galloway, X, Alastair McIntyre, X; 2nd back row: Irene McLaren, X, X, Helen Murdoch, X, X, Janet Fagan, Jean Crook, X, X; 2nd front row: X, X, Lindsay Malan,X, X, X, X, X, X; front row: Jim Graham, Andrew Watt, X, Robert Cameron. Image supplied by Jim Graham. More names would be welcomed.
Woolworths~0.jpg
Woolworths2757 viewsA view of West Clyde Street circa 1970 showing the F.W.Woolworth branch which closed in January 2009 and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
Kilmahew,_Cardross.jpg
Kilmahew, Cardross2757 viewsKilmahew House at Cardross, built in 1868 to designs by John Burnet. In 1948 the property was acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. The mansion was demolished in 1995 after it had been gutted in a fire started by vandals. Image circa 1932.
rosneathpier.jpg
Ferry Inn, Rosneath2754 viewsThe Edwin Lutyens-designed Ferry Inn was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle. Image is undated.
1901-pierhead~3.jpg
View from pier 19012754 viewsThis view from the pierhead looking up Colquhoun Street was taken in 1901, but it is not known why a large crowd had gathered and what they were looking at. The shops are Robert Brown's wines and spirits and Lachlan McLachlan's very popular bakery. In 1929 the building which housed the two shops was demolished to allow the National Bank of Scotland to be built, and Lachlan McLachlan moved his business to Garelochhead where he worked until his death in 1951. Image supplied by Pat Drayton.
Glen_Fruin_school2.jpg
Pupils of Glen Fruin School circa 1910-122736 viewsThree of the pupils are James, Graham, and Robert Douglas Thorburn. The picture was taken by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn.
Lansdowne20.jpg
Lansdowne House2733 viewsOriginally privately-owned, the mansion on Victoria Road became a St Bride's and then Lomond School boarding house. It is now demolished, and its grounds will be the site of a housing development. Image supplied by David Arthur, date unknown.
Knockderry-Castle127.jpg
Knockderry Castle2728 viewsA view of Knockderry Castle at Cove, published by MacFarlane Brothers of Cove, circa 1908. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
Rhu-dance-class.jpg
Country dance class2725 viewsMembers of a country dance class run in Rhu Village Hall by nursery gardener Alec Parlane. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, circa 1955.
Image1-144.jpg
Shandon Hydro2698 viewsShandon Hydro and the extensive gardens. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Rosneath_School19412.jpg
Rosneath School2698 viewsRosneath School at the Clachan, when the uniform was rather different from today. Image date unknown.
Empress_19053.jpg
The Empress2682 viewsA 1905 photograph of the Training Ship Empress and two large yachts moored in Rhu Bay. Formerly the warship Revenge, the Clyde Training Ship Association vessel was home and school to 350-400 boys.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 8