Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Augusta_lodge_entrance.jpg
Helensburgh's west esplanade1477 viewsAn old view of the west bay seafront, with railings along the prom and a shelter in the distance. On the other side of the road, where the Augusta Lodge cafe buildings stand now, is the entrance to the former home of Lady Augusta Clavering, elder daughter of the 5th Duke of Argyll. It was a plain, substantial house, built about 1804, with a grass plot in front, and an iron railing next the street. Image date unknown.
Image1-120.jpg
Sinclair Street looking north1476 viewsThis old card, looking up Sinclair Street from Clyde Street, is post-dated 1905. The nearest lamp post on the east side is inscribed Clyde St E.
Payne-shop-Rosneath-w.jpg
Payne Grocers1476 viewsAn old image of a van outside Arthur Payne's grocery store at The Clachan, Rosneath. Image date unknown.
Thorburn_uniform5.jpg
Photographer in uniform1475 viewsKeen Helensburgh photographer Robert Thorburn is the man in front in this presumably World War One group picture. A grocery shop manager, he moved to Helensburgh before 1900, and lived at 24 East Princes Street on March 2 1900 when he married Christina Graham, of 29 James Street. His age at the time of his marriage was given as 27, and he lived in Helensburgh until his death in 1945.
Tea_stall5.jpg
Wartime Cuppa1474 viewsCustomers at a tea van run by the Women's Volunteer Service outside the council offices in Helensburgh in 1942. The following year the WVS (later the WRVS), founded in 1938, began the first meals on wheels service.
Brodie-engine3731~1.jpg
Train now leaving1474 viewsBritish Railways engine 67619, a Class V1 Gresley design introduced from 1930, weighing 84 tons. Image supplied by Helensburgh man Bobby Brodie who can just be seen in the cab, circa 1955.
Rhu-Station22.jpg
Rhu Station1472 viewsRhu Station on the West Highland Line which opened in 1894. Rhu was the only one of the local upper stations not designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
1952-Decorators-dinner5414.jpg
Painters president1472 viewsThe top table at the 1952 annual dinner at the conference of the Federation of Master Painters and Decorators in Scotland, held at Shandon Hydro Hotel, the former home of Robert Napier. On the right is the new president, Helensburgh man Gregory Alexander Burgess, and in the centre is Mrs McKay of Rhu. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
178-Hogwarts-Express-(Olton-Hall).jpg
Hogwarts Express1472 views"The Hogwarts Express" is pictured at Helensburgh Upper Station on October 9 2007, returning south after filming one of the Harry Potter films. The steam locomotive No. 5972 was built as "Olton Hall" for the Great Western Railway in 1928, but for the purpose of filming was renamed "Hogwarts Castle". Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
Lansdowne-Park-w.jpg
Lansdowne Park1472 viewsBuilt in the 1850s and demolished about 2004, Lansdowne Park was on the east side of the Victoria Road and Sinclair Street junction in Helensburgh, opposite Prince Albert Terrace. Originally a private house, the ornate roof was added by architect William Leiper in 1896. Its last use was as a boarding house for St Bride's School and its successor Lomond School. After it was demolished, private houses and flats were built on the site. Image date unknown.
Advertiser-car029.jpg
Advertiser promotion1471 viewsThree members of the Helensburgh Advertiser staff sit on proprietor Craig M.Jeffrey's decorated Triumph 2000 car outside the then 17-19 East King Street office and printing plant before promoting the Advertiser and its sister weekly, the Dunbarton County Reporter, at the annual traders Christmas parade in Alexandria in the early 1970s. Centre is Carol Campbell, and on the right Alison Fraser.
4-pic-old-postcard-w.jpg
Unusual Helensburgh card1471 viewsThis unusual card, posted on December 17 1901, has a version of the Helensburgh coat of arms and four scenes — the West Esplanade, Rhu Bay, Helensburgh golf course, and the East Bay.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 44