Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Golf_pro_50th2.jpg
Pro for 50 Years1488 viewsA party at Helensburgh Golf Club in 1945 to celebrate Tom Turnbull retiring after completing 50 years as the club professional. From left, back: Messrs McCulloch, Aitkenhead, Easton, Keir, Davidson; third row: Messrs McAuley, Clements, Herbeson, Spy; second row: Messrs Michie, McAuslan, Jack, Douglas; front: Messrs Colville, Rafferty, Workman, Downs, Fairbairn with Tom Turnbull in the centre. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Seonaid_Brown_Rhu_Ellen.jpg
Farewell to Rhu Ellen1488 viewsYoung people before the Rhu Ellen Hotel at Rhu closed. They include David Urquhart, Claire Mandsley, Gavin Bowman, Seonaid Brown, Craig MacPhee, Fenella Venton, Sean ?, Alison Moncrieff, Gary Todd, ?, Malky Pearson, Stewart Jeffrey, Barbara Gilchrist, ?, Julie Johnston, Louise Roberts, and Sarah Curry. Image, taken by Stewart Cunningham for the Helensburgh Advertiser, supplied by Seonaid Brown through the Helensburgh Memories Facebook page.
Seafront_ponies2915.jpg
Seafront pony rides1486 viewsRides on ponies and donkeys on Helensburgh seafront used to be very popular in summer. The image date is unknown, but the shops behind are a tobacconist, T.G.Allan Ltd., Leathar & Co., and D.H.Davidson Ltd.
Kilmahew_Castle_2015-w.jpg
Kilmahew Castle1486 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts. The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image, taken on February 1 2015, supplied by Stewart Noble.
cairndhu_06.jpg
Cairndhu panels1485 viewsDecorated panels in need of repair at the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
hydro_1stlounge.jpg
Lounge1484 viewsOne of two lounges at Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Victoria_Road1671.jpg
Prince Albert Terrace1480 viewsThe Terrace in Victoria Road was built in the late 1870s by William Tait for the Cramb family, who owned Hermitage Park. It is said to have been built to such a height and facing north on the orders of the owners to obscure the view of the river from Lansdowne House opposite and overlook it, because Susannah Cramb had been jilted by a young man from Landsdowne. Novelist A.J.Cronin (1896-1981) lived in the Terrace, and contemporary portrait painter Stephen Conroy was born at no.3 in 1964.
Helensburgh-Shed17.jpg
The Helensburgh Shed1480 viewsSteam locomotives at the Helensburgh shed beside the Central Station, with the St Columba Church tower barely visible through the haze. Image date unknown.
Shandon-Station23.jpg
Shandon Station1479 viewsShandon Station on the West Highland Line, which was opened in 1894. Like all the other local upper stations except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Gareloch-BA-19654001~0.jpg
Bowling presidents1479 viewsPresident of the Helensburgh and district member clubs at the Gareloch Bowling Association dinner in February 1965. In the middle of the front row is Alex Douglas, the last headmaster of Clyde Street School, and on the right is Willie Cowe, the janitor at the school.
Battrums1.jpg
Battrums Music Shop1478 viewsThe Sinclair Street premises of W.Battrum, Pianoforte and Music Warehouse. On offer were pianofortes on hire at moderate rates, pianofortes and organs on the 'Hire Purchase System', and pianoforte tuning. They also carried a large stock of the newest and most popular music, and sold gramophones, phonographs and records. Image circa 1910.
Burnbrae-w.jpg
Burnbrae1478 viewsSt Bride's School teachers and boarders at Burnbrae House, circa 1960. Among the pupils are Joan Whitehead, Aline Shields, Sheila Thom, Elizabeth Lammie, Madeline Griffiths, Clair Bock, Sonia Hunt, J.McArthur, Nina Ferguson, Moyra McVicker, J.Marsh, Elizabeth Morrison, Mary Evans, Rae Hudleston, J.Mitchell, Daphne Ritchie, Elizabeth McKay, Marion Gray, Katherine Campbell, Jane McCammond, Bick Carswell, Helen Shearer, Frances M.Fleming, Jean Bone, Fiona Third, M.Stewart, and Irene Rose. The photograph was taken by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 43