Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Burgh_engine1.jpg
Burgh Engine1555 viewsThis Gresley designed 2-6-2T V1 engine, 67603, which weighed 84 tons, is pictured at the Helensburgh Central Station Shed in 1958. This class was introduced in 1930.
Jeanie_Deans-31862.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans1552 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in Loch Long. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
1965-Royal-visit-w.jpg
1965 Royal visit1552 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which was a gift for Prince Andrew. The Blue Trains were introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line in 1960. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 when the royal couple were on their way to open new County Council offices at Garshake in Dumbarton, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. Behind them are Provost J.McLeod (Cloudy) Williamson and the Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Admiral Sir Angus Cunninghame Graham.
Early_days_sepia_17.jpg
Tennis in 19131551 viewsPlayers on the grass courts at Helensburgh Lawn Tennis Club in Suffolk Street in 1913
Lansdowne-1961-or-2-w.jpg
Lansdowne1551 viewsSt Bride's School headmistress Miss Rachel Drever Smith with colleagues and boarders at Lansdowne House in either 1961 or 62. Among those in the picture are Fiona Farquhar, Sheila Reid, D.Greig, C.H.Campbell, Deirdre Fleur, Ann Adamson, Lynne Taylor, Viola Lennox, Sheena Haining, Kim Menzies, Avril Andrew, Margaret Fleming, Maire Maclean, Fanny Pender, Ann Fernie, Pat Stewart, Hilary Gray, Anne Crombie, Mairi Thomson, Valerie Pow, Carol Pender, Maria Rattray, Catherine Docherty, Mate Newton, and E.Whiteford. The photo was taken by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie.
Theatre_Arts_cast3.jpg
Theatre Arts Play1550 viewsA 1960s production in the Victoria Hall of Enid Bagnold's 'The Chalk Garden'. The cast includes Dorothy Schofield, Jean Pender, Jill Grattidge, Pauline McIntyre, Bunty Prosser and Walter Bryden.
Shandon_Shop1087.jpg
Shandon Shop1549 viewsBray, Shandon, on Kirk Brae, where Cooper & Co., agent for the Perth Dye Works, offered Teas etc. Date unknown. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
Push___pull_engine3224.jpg
Push and pull1549 viewsThis LNER Class C15 Reid N.B. design locomotive, weighing 60 tons, was pictured at Arrochar and Tarbet Station in 1959 by Derek Penney. The class dated from 1911 and was built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. It was one of three which operated the push and pull service from Craigendoran to Arrochar, known as 'The Wee Arrochar'.
Hartfield-House,-Cove-w.jpg
Hartfield House1549 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Woodend-1956-w.jpg
Woodend1548 viewsSt Bride's School pupils and teachers at Woodend in 1956.
Helensburgh-Central16.jpg
East Princes Street1546 viewsA view of East Princes Street in the days of horse-drawn carriages, with the station on the left in the days of the North British Railway. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-1st-XI3925~0.jpg
Helensburgh 1st XI1545 viewsThe Helensburgh Cricket Club 1st XI pictured by well known burgh photographer Bill Benzie beside the old pavilion at Ardencaple, which was later burnt down. Two stalwarts of the team for many years are in the front row, Willie Gilchrist (left) and his brother Ian (second from right). Back second from left is Harry Simpson. Image date unknown.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 37