| Most viewed - Heritage |

Bell Monument1792 viewsA sunny day in West Clyde Street at the Henry Bell monument, circa 1951.
|
|

Wonder of Woolies-21791 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff inside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.
|
|

Zimba1788 viewsThe motor yacht Zimba, built by James A.Silver Ltd. of Rosneath, pictured off Gully Bridge Pier in June 1960 by Stewart Noble on board Tommy Wright's Gareloch yacht Catriona.
|
|

Redtower1786 viewsAn early image of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
|
|

Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s1784 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.
|
|

TS Empress1783 viewsOne of the bands which were a feature of life on the Training Ship Empress, moored in the Gareloch. They frequently played at the Kidston Park bandstand, and were in demand to play at other events. Empress was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image date unknown.
|
|

Arrochar Station1774 viewsFor many years Arrochar and Tarbet Station on the West Highland Line was the destination of a local service known as the 'Wee Arrochar' which ran several times a day from Craigendoran. It was a push-and-pull train with a tank engine always at the Craigendoran-bound end. Image date unknown.
|
|

West seafront1773 viewsLooking west from the pier, with some youngsters paddling. Date unknown.
|
|

Helensburgh Pro-Am1772 viewsThe organising committee of the 1974 Helensburgh Golf Club Pro-Am. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch, who is seen (3rd left) with Matt Kirk, Colin McIntosh, Douglas Dalgleish, Jim Stark, unknown, Evan McGregor, Bert Goodwin, Ronnie Jeffrey, Stan Chalmers and Jimmy Cameron.
|
|

Spoof card1767 viewsA card produced by Valentine's of Dundee showing a poster for an Extra Special Edition of the Helensburgh Times announcing someone's arrival in the town. A blank line was left to fill in the name — in this case Dickie. Image circa 1912.
|
|

Rustic Bridge1766 viewsThe rustic bridge was in Hermitage Park. If you could see through the trees you would see the Victoria Halls. Hermitage Primary School is off to the left. Date unknown.
|
|

Cameron House1766 viewsAn aerial view of Cameron House on Loch Lomondside, near Alexandria, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. For three centuries, the Cameron House estate remained in the hands of the Smollett family, originally merchants and shipbuilders from Dumbarton and later wealthy landed gentry. Image date unknown.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
24 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|