Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
TS_Empress06.jpg
TS Empress1902 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any one time. Image date unknown.
Image1-152.jpg
West Princes Street1899 viewsWest Princes Street looking east. Date unknown.
Mr-Smith-w.jpg
Hermitage class1894 viewsClass 1C at Hermitage School, circa 1955, with teacher Mr Smith. More details would be welcomed. Image supplied by Iain D.McAulay.
cairndhu_05.jpg
Cairndhu front door1891 viewsThe decorated front door of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
Dalriada_Portincaple.jpg
Crimea, Portincaple1890 viewsCrimea, now renamed Dalriada, was the home of eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean War on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station1886 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
1962-Hermitage-under-14.jpg
Hermitage under 14s1886 viewsThe Hermitage Academy under 14 'A' football team who won the West Dunbartonshire League in 1962, winning 15 out of 16 matches. Back: G.Don, A.Brabender, A.Quinlan, A.Stimson, K.Thompson, G.Gall, G.McKerrow; front: teacher Mr McKinnon, M.Mickie, A.Sharpe (capt), A.McGougan, S.Colquhoun, janitor and coach Angus McWilliams. Missing from the picture was C.McKell.
Camis_Eskan_garden-13.jpg
Camis Eskan Market Garden1883 viewsThe market garden area at Camis Eskan House during World War Two. Photo by kind permission of Sheila Penny.
1960_Craigendoran_swim1621.jpg
1960 Craigendoran Swim1881 viewsHelensburgh Swimming Club prepare to dive from Craigendoran pier to swim to Helensburgh pier in the annual event in August 1960. The first girl is club champion for many years Sheila Bell, next to her is Elspeth McLean, and fifth girl along is Sandy MacRitchie. The boy second from right rubbing his hands is Colin McCallum. Further details would be welcomed by the editor.
Larchfield_rugby01417.jpg
Larchfield 1st XV 19551874 viewsThe rugby 1st XV at Helensburgh's Larchfield School (now part of Lomond School) in 1955. Front: Muir, Mellis, Buchan. Middle: Kennedy, Ramage, Wingate, Hesketh, Nicol. Back: Birnie, Henderson, Lawrence, Bamford, Fullarton, Duncan, Bamford.
Bobby_McGregor1.jpg
Olympic Medalist Bobby MacGregor1870 viewsHelensburgh-born Scottish and British champion and world record holder Bobby MacGregor gave a demonstration swim at the Helensburgh Swimming Club Gala in the outdoor pool in August 1964. Son of a former burgh pondmaster, he went on to take silver in the 100 metres freestyle at the Tokyo Olympics a few weeks later.
Now an architect, Bobby moved to Helensburgh some years ago.
Helensburgh-Central-19792.jpg
Helensburgh Central Station1870 viewsA fairly modern view of the Central Station in East Princes Street, taken on September 20 1979.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 21