| Most viewed - Heritage |

Beach huts522 viewsHuts provide shelter from the sun on Helensburgh beach just to the west of the pier. Image from 1933.
|
|

Whistlefield Brae520 viewsThe Whistlefield Brae looking up the hill from Garelochhead. Image c.1900 by courtesy of the Helensburgh Memories website.
|
|

Marching to Rhu518 viewsThe Helensburgh Citizen Training Force marches past Pier Road, Rhu, led by members of the Helensburgh Clan Colquhoun Pipe Band, during World War One. Image supplied by Eric McArthur who suspects the gentleman on the grass verge with the black suit and black hat and walking stick could be his grandfather, Alexander Macarthur, who lived at 56 John Street. The object of the Citizen Training Force was to provide military training for men ineligible for business or other valid reasons to enlist in the Forces.
|
|

Fruin flowers518 viewsPhotograph of his wife, Christina Graham from Rhu, and children Graham and Mabel picking flowers in Glen Fruin, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.
|
|

Festival winners515 viewsThe winning Helensburgh mixed team in the Scottish country dancing competition at the 1984 Inverclyde Music Festival in Greenock Town Hall. Back: Ian Hume, Jack Gregor, George Rennie; front: Anne Thorn, Dinah Buchanan. Image supplied by Anne Thorn.
|
|

Oldest surviving shop515 viewsThis image of West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, shows the town's longest surviving retail business, R & A Urie Ltd., China and Crystalware Specialist, at no.45, established in the town in 1854. Image c.1950.
|
|

Pier from above512 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.
|
|

Outdoor pool512 viewsTwo swimmers on the slide at Helensburgh Outdoor Pool in August 1938.
|
|

Queen's Hotel512 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
|
|

Smiling patients510 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street. Image dated 1915.
|
|

Peaton Hill510 viewsLooking down Peaton Road to the Gareloch and a merchant ship. Image c.1945 by A.C.Turner, Clynder.
|
|

1928 Motorman's Outing510 viewsA Motorman's (Engine Drivers) Outing on July 6 1928. In the back seat of the charabanc is Provost John Sommerville, himself an engine driver on the West Highland Line. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
174 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|