| Most viewed - Heritage |

Baird and Wells613 viewsThe novelist H.G.Wells (1866-1946), one of the earliest writers of science fiction, and John Logie Baird met for the first and only time in October 1931 on board the liner Aquitania, on route to New York. Image first published in Baird's memoirs "Television and Me" by courtesy of the Royal Television Society.
|
|

Suffragette poster613 viewsWhat appears to be a home-made poster about a visit to Helensburgh by suffragette campaigner Adela Pankhurst, possibly on July 29 1909. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
|
|

Passion for chess611 viewsBonar Law was a great chess enthusiast, and was a highly rated player. He is pictured here at the London International Chess Congress in July and August of 1922 with the Mayor of Westminster, a few weeks before he became Prime Minister. The players were José Raúl Capablanca y Graupera, world champion in 1922, (left) and Machgielis Euwe. known to all as Max. Photo by courtesy of the Chess Scotland History Archive at www.chessscotland.com/documents/history/latest_additions.htm.
|
|

Planting season609 viewsPhotograph taken c.1913 probably by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows planting on Duirlands Farm, Glen Fruin. Image supplied by David Clark from a collection of glass slides.
|
|

1944 Hermitage 4th Year girls604 viewsBack row from left, Macdonald, Morrison, Ewing, Crnish, Grant, McKinlay, Gall; third row, Arnott, ?, McKay, Ronald, Spy, McKay, McGuire. Macalpine, second row, ?, ?, Barr, ?, ?, McCaw, Crearand, Jane, Macdonald, front row, Cowan, Hughie, Anton, McKellar, Robertson, Marshall, McGruer. Missing, corrected and first names would be welcomed. Image supplied by Liz Sutherland.
|
|

Storm damage602 viewsA 1911 storm caused serious damage to Craigendoran pier. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
|
|

TS Empress598 viewsA 1915 image of the raining ship Empress moored in the Gareloch, with its tender beyond. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
|
|

Helensburgh Golf Club598 viewsA view of the clubhouse, circa 1944. The club was founded in 1893, with a nine hole course designed by former Open champion 'Old' Tom Morris. This second clubhouse was opened in 1900, and five years later the course was upgraded to 18 holes.
|
|

597 viewsThe Recital – Victoria de Los Angeles, by Caroline Sillars. Copyright the Anderson (Local Collection) Trust.
|
|

Going to war596 viewsLocal soldiers leaving for World War One. The second and third soldiers in, who have a kit bag between them, both have gassed written next to them. On the back of the original photo was written: 2nd on left back row - killed; soldier in front row 6th from left with dark bear skin over his shoulders - wounded; soldier behind him to the right - prisoner; soldier with a moustache in front of door - prisoner. More details would be welcomed. Copy image supplied by Liz Sutherland.
|
|

Cardross Free Church595 viewsThe original Free Church of Scotland in Cardross. Today there is a house called 'Kirklands' at the south side of Main Road just to the west of its junction with Bainfield Road, and the church was on the site of what is now the garage of that house. The present church building on Station Road was built in 1872 and served as the Free Church of Scotland until 1929 when the Church of Scotland and the Free Church were united. As there were now two C of S congregations the former Free Church was given the name 'Burns Church'. This was the case until after World War Two when the two congregations were united to form Cardross Parish Church in the present building.
|
|

Snowy Hydro594 viewsA 1904 image of a snowstorm at Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
170 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|