| Most viewed - Heritage |

Shandon School c.1944693 viewsElinor Grummitt, who still lives in Shandon, supplied this image from around 1944. She is second left, back row. Her sister is middle of the middle row and her brother second left, front row. Far left is teacher Miss Buchanan, who came after Miss Willan retired, and the lady on the right is Mrs Hutchison, who helped out her janitor husband. The boy, second right bottom row, was Polish. His father was an officer in the Polish army, billeted at Shandon Hydro. His name was Richard Stetner.
|
|

Ornate fountain692 viewsA young boy poses beside an ornate drinking fountain which used to stand in Helensburgh's Kidston park. Image c.1903.
|
|

Blue Train690 viewsA Blue Train approaching Cardross from Helensburgh, viewed from Coronation Park, Port Glasgow. Image, date unkniwn, © Thomas Nugent licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.
|
|

Rosneath Castle690 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date 1919.
|
|

Luss Hotel689 viewsTravellers arrive at Luss Hotel on Loch Lomondside. Image c.1900 by courtesy of the Helensburgh Memories website.
|
|

For butter687 viewsThis pot was donated to the Heritage Trust by Tony Voght. It was used for selling butter by the Helensburgh seafront shop Lennox & Chapman, grocers and wine merchants.
|
|

Fruin farmer686 viewsPhotograph of a farmer with his scythe in Glen Fruin, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.
|
|

682 viewsWood engraving of The Emperor the Nightingale, by Elizabeth Jamieson Odling. Copyright the Anderson (Local Collection) Trust.
|
|

2009 St Peter's677 viewsThe interior of the derelict St Peter's Seminary at Cardross — now the centre of a restoration project — pictured in 2009 by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Craigrownie Church675 viewsUntil the 19th century the only church on the Rosneath Peninsula was in Rosneath itself. However with the coming of steamships the population of Cove and Kilcreggan expanded rapidly, and this was what brought about the construction of Craigrownie Church in Cove in 1852. By the 1880s the church was proving too small and in 1889 it was extended by the architects Honeyman and Keppie. Today it is home to the only Church of Scotland congregation in Cove and Kilcreggan, being linked with Rosneath and Garelochhead, and it was refurbished in 2017. Photo by Professor John Hume.
|
|

1903 Seafront675 viewsA 1903 image of a busy day on the beach in Helensburgh, just to the west of the pier.
|
|

Coal from Spy674 viewsA horse and cart coal delivery from A. & R.Spy, Coal Merchants and Colliery Agents, of 25 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh. Their slogan was: "All orders executed with promptitude under our personal supervision." Their wholesale depot was in the goods yard at Helensburgh Central Station. Image c1910.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
167 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|