Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Rosneath-Shore-by-P_Kerr.jpg
Rosneath shore713 viewsAn etching of Rosneath shore and the Gareloch by Greenock-based artist Peter Kerr. The McLean Museum in Greenock has many of his paintings. Most of his landscapes were of the Clyde shores, and Cove and Kilcreggan. He was married to Catherine McMillan, born in Helensburgh in 1863, whose family owned the Teak and Ash. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay, whose wife is a distant relative of the artist.
Luss-w.jpg
Luss Church711 viewsIt is believed that St Kessog (or MacKessog) founded a church in Luss in the year 510, and it was in the name of Kessog that King Robert the Bruce went into battle against the English at Bannockburn in 1314. However the present building was opened in 1875 to commemorate the deaths of Sir James Colquhoun and a group of his gamekeepers in a boating accident in Loch Lomond two years earlier — indeed from inside the roof looks like an upturned boat. Some of the graves in the churchyard go back to the 7th or 8th century, and there is also a Viking hogback stone. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Pre-12914-Queens-Hotel.jpg
Queen's Hotel709 viewsA pre-1914 image of the Queen's Hotel in East Clyde Street, Helensburgh, from the street.
Peaton-w.jpg
Peaton Church707 viewsThis small corrugated iron church was affectionately known as "The Tin Hut Church". It is not known when this church opened, but it was certainly in existence before 1893. It was generally only used for a short time in summer, principally to cater for visitors to the area. It stood by the shore road between Cove and Coulport and was used until 2002, being finally demolished eleven years later. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Strone_Farm.jpg
Strone Farm707 viewsA 1905 image of Strone Farm in Glen Fruin.
Christian-Scientist-w.jpg
Church of Christ, Scientist704 viewsHelensburgh's Church of Christ, Scientist, in West Princes Street, was designed in 1956 by Margaret Brodie. The First Church of Christ, Scientist had its beginnings in Helensburgh in 1910, and a plot of ground at 138-144 West Princes Street was bought in 1946; ten years later a church was built there. By 2015 the building was closed and for sale, and it was bought by a firm of architects who announced two2 years later that they would convert it into flats. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Hill-House-box-w.jpg
Hill House 'box'702 viewsAn artist's impression of a huge box being erected over the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion in Upper Colquhoun Street in 2019 so that works can take place to solve damp ingress. in a pioneering conservation programme. The box is a protective steel frame structure covered in chainmail mesh with walkways around the roof and over the house, allowing people to see the house as never before.
1933-Seafront-huts-w.jpg
Seafront huts697 viewsHuts on a busy Helensburgh west seafront, seen from the pier. Image c.1933.
Larchfield-by-Stuart-w.jpg
Larchfield697 viewsThe early days of Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh, photographed by John Stuart who had a photographers business in Helensburgh and Glasgow, and served as Provost of Helensburgh from 1877-84.
Empty-bandstand-w.jpg
Seafront bandstand694 viewsAn old image of the bandstand on Helensburgh's West Esplanade, with the Granary building and the Old Parish Church beyond. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple-event-wjpg.jpg
Mystery group694 viewsA well dressed group in the field between Helensburgh and Ardencaple, including an officer from the Training Ship Empress. The occasion and the date is not known. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
ross_cycles.jpg
Ross Cycles693 viewsAn image c.1910 of John Ross in front of his cycle shop at 33 West Princes Street, Helensburgh. Image supplied by his great-grandson Jeff Castel de Oro.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 166