Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Rhu-Bay-w.jpg
Row Bay886 viewsAn old picture of Row (now Rhu) Bay. Image date unknown.
Luss_village2158.jpg
Luss village885 viewsVillage scene, date unknown.
Gentles-Thompson.jpg
Poet and organiser885 viewsFormer Commodore Clyde and Argyll and Bute Councillor Eric Thompson MBE, who read a poem he had written for the occasion, with exhibition organiser Doris Gentles at the opening of the Henry Bell and the Comet exhibition in Helensburgh Library on Friday August 3 2012. Photo by Eleanor McKay.
The-Rev-John-Lindsay-w.jpg
The Rev John Lindsay885 viewsThe Rev John Lindsay was the first minister of Helensburgh Parish Church on the seafront — later the Old Parish Church which was demolished and only the church tower remains — for many years in the 19th century, having been ordained to the charge in 1847. He died in 1895 and is buried in Helensburgh Cemetery.
Rhu_Church088.jpg
Rhu Parish Church884 viewsA 1906 image of Row (now Rhu) Parish Church, 26 years after its first organ was installed. The Parish of Row, including Helensburgh, was created in 1648 from lands belonging to the ancient parishes of Cardross and Rosneath, and the church was completed the following year. William Spence designed the pinnacled octagonal tower which was added in 1851.
Cobbler_and_Sour_Milk_Burn.jpg
Cobbler884 viewsThe Cobbler and the fast flowing Sour Milk Burn at Arrochar. Image circa 1936.
Rosneath_Clachan311.jpg
The Clachan883 viewsThe Clachan at Rosneath, published by E.Eakin, Rosneath Post Office. Clachan is Gaelic for hamlet. Image date unknown.
Baird_and_Ben_Clapp007.jpg
Television transmitter883 viewsJohn Logie Baird at the transmitter of his experimental radio station G2KZ from which television was transmitted across the Atlantic in February 1928. Looking on is his technical assistant, Ben Clapp.
St-Mahew_s-Chapel-w.jpg
St Mahew's Chapel883 viewsThe Chapel of St Mahew at Kirkton of Kilmahew, Cardross. For many years a derelict graveyard surrounding the ruin of a small mediaeval chapel, the land became the property of the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1948, and they decided to restore the ruined chapel. The work began in 1953, under the direction of Ian G.Lindsay and Partners of Edinburgh, and was brought to a successful conclusion within the Octave of the Ascension, May 22 1955, when the Archbishop of Glasgow, the Most Rev Donald A.Campbell, DD, celebrated in it the first Pontifical Mass after a lapse of some four centuries. It is structurally the church which was built in 1467, but a small vestry was added.
Swan-Island.jpg
Swan Isle881 viewsSwan Isle, which lies in the bay off Aldochlay just south of Luss on Loch Lomondside, is a crannog and one of the earliest examples of human settlement, dating from around 3000BC. These artificial islands were built for security against both human enemies and wild animals. Image date unknown.
Rosneath_from_Rhu.jpg
Rosneath from Rhu881 viewsA view from Rhu Point looking towards Rosneath Pier and the Lutyens-designed Ferry House, with a steamer travelling into the Gareloch. The pier was closed in 1942. Image circa 1911.
Kilcreggan_villas086.jpg
Kilcreggan villas881 viewsA 1903 image of villas along the Kilcreggan shoreline.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 152