| Most viewed |

Scout Hall410 viewsThe 1st Craigendoran Scouts hall on East Clyde Street beside the former Clyde Street School, opened in 1981 and later demolished. The new wing of what is now Helensburgh and Lomond Civic Centre was built on the site. Image by the late Kenneth Crawford, date unknown.
|
|

Skating in Glen Fruin408 viewsPhotograph taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows a skater enjoying the frozen River Fruin.
|
|

Fruin farm405 viewsBlairnairn Farm in Glen Fruin. Image date c.1920.
|
|

Lady Clare403 viewsThe steamer Lady Clare takes on passengers at Garelochhead pier. She was built in 1891 by J.MacArthur & Company of Paisley for the North British Railway Company’s service up the Gareloch from Craigendoran, and latterly Greenock. A smaller version of Lucy Ashton but with equally neat proportions, she was 180 feet long with a beam of 19 feet. After also serving in Derry from 1906 and in World War One as a minesweeper based in Belfast, she was broken up at Dumbarton in 1928. Image c.1900.
|
|

Paddling pool fun403 viewsThe Helensburgh seafront paddling pool at the foot of John Street, which was later demolished. Image c.1947.
|
|

General Booth400 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, leaves from Helensburgh pier the day after speaking at the Victoria Hall on October 26 1910, and is seen with Provost David S.Maclachlan. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912.Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
|
|

AHBRE Glen Fruin397 viewsA wintery image of the Admiralty Hydro Ballistic Research Establishment in Glen Fruin used on the cover of a calendar for 1978 produced by the photographic staff at the establishment. A copy of the calendar was donated to the Heritage Trust by Jock Troup.
|
|

School Road Rhu396 viewsA 1909 image of School Road in Row (now Rhu).
|
|

On the pier391 viewsPhotograph taken c.1913 probably by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows passengers arriving at either Rhu or Shandon pier. Image supplied by David Clark from a collection of glass slides.
|
|

Geilston Hall391 viewsGeilston Hall in Cardross. It was built in 1889-90 by Honeyman and Keppie as a drill hall for the local rifle volunteers. The pale sandstone hall is set back from the road and is in a Collegiate Tudor style. There is a two-storey administration block at the west end incorporating a square tower with a crenellated parapet. The former instructor's accommodation is on the upper level. Today the popular meeting place is operated in trust by the elected Geilston Hall Management Committee, and is a Registered Scottish Charity (SC040631). Photo by Stewart Noble.
|
|

Victorious391 viewsHelensburgh's Prime Minister, Andrew Bonar Law, is seen saluting the Conservatives general election victory in this illustration from the Punch edition of November 22 1922.
|
|

Fruin fishing390 viewsPhotograph of George Nicol fishing in Glen Fruin with two young helpers, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
181 |  |
|