Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Kilcreggan_shops.jpg
Kilcreggan shops452 viewsA horse and carriage wait outside the shops in Kilcreggan. Image date unknown.
Great-Britons-Rossdhu-House-1977-w.jpg
TV demonstration451 viewsHelensburgh and district members of the Royal Scottish Dance Society gave a demonstration at Rossdhu House, Luss, ancestral home of the Clan Colquhoun and now the Loch Lomond Golf Club clubhouse, for BBC programme "Great Britons — Robert Burns" in 1977. The violinist was Jimmy Yeaman, and the dancers from left were Bob Drummond, Etta Rennie, Mary McIntosh, George Rennie, Peggy Rose, Joyce Gregor and Ken Sharp. Image supplied by Anne Thorn.
Rosneath-Castle-w.jpg
Rosneath Castle444 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date unknown.
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed443 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.
Tamnavoulin-SN-1-w~1.jpg
Tamnavoulin441 viewsThe historic Glen Fruin cottage Tamnavoulin, pictured by Stewart Noble in 2015, the year it was bought for redevelopment. The name of the small cottage derives from the Gaelic for ‘hill of the mill’. The vicinity of the cottage is thought to have been the site of a dwelling as far back as the 15th century, while one account gives the date of the present building as early 19th century.
Badminton-c1970-w.jpg
Champions all440 viewsHelensburgh and district badminton champions c.1970. Back row from left: Donald Grant, Robert Burns, Isobel Campbell, Ronnie Trail, Robert Watt; front: Freda Araqm, Morag Carlaw, Jean Masters, May MacKinnon. Image supplied by Anne Thorn.
HHT-2002-play-w.jpg
Bicentenary stars440 viewsAs part of the burgh bicentenary celebrations in 2002 a play about the granting of the burgh charter was performed. In the cast (from left) were Stewart Noble as King George III, Calum McNicol as the town crier, and Jim Ritchie as Sir James Colquhoun.
Rhu-water-trip.jpg
Waterworks trip437 viewsLocal worthies, including F.C.Buchanan of Rowmore, Rhu (left), celebrate the opening of a new dam and waterworks in the hills above the village, c.1896.
Firkin_Toll_1932.jpg
Toll Cottage436 viewsThe toll cottage at Firkin Toll on Loch Lomondside, between Inverbeg and Tarbet and now the site of a large picnic area. Image c.1932.
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque435 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.
Millig_SWRI_25th_2001.jpg
25th anniversary432 viewsThe top table at the 25th anniversary dinner of Helensburgh's Millig SWRI, held in the Commodore Hotel on November 13 2001. Entertainment was provided by the Helensburgh and Lomond Fiddlers. Back row: Ruth Murdoch, Helen Rodger, Margaret Gilbert, Ann Steer; front: Myra Taylor, president Betty Tulloch, Nanny Tomison.
Shandon_pier_church.jpg
Shandon Church432 viewsShandon Church pictured from Shandon Pier. Image date unknown.
2190 files on 183 page(s) 179