| Most viewed |

Cove Burgh Hall925 viewsThen described as Kilcreggan Public Buildings and U.F.Church, this picture was used on a postcard published by Kerr, Post Office, Kilcreggan, circa 1905. It sits on the boundary between Cove and Kilcreggan and has been known for many years as Cove Burgh Hall. In recent years it has been very successfully run by a local committee who acquired it from the local authority for a nominal sum.
|
|

The 'Sour Milk Burn'925 viewsThis fast flowing burn and waterfall at Arrochar is known as the Sour Milk Burn. Image circa 1904.
|
|

Carved heads925 viewsTwo carved heads are seen at the bricked-up doorway of the tower of Cardross Old Parish Church, which was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers on the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower was restored in the summer of 1999. Any information about the carved heads would be welcome. Image supplied by Donald Fullarton.
|
|

Rhu Narrows925 viewsAn old image of the Gareloch from above Clynder showing Rhu Narrows as it used to be, before the passage between the Spit and Rosneath was widened for use by naval vessels and submarines. Image date unknown.
|
|

Snowy Fruin925 viewsA wintertime scene in Glen Fruin looking to the north and west. Image, circa 2006, supplied by Gordon Fraser.
|
|

Air raid shelter925 viewsAn air raid shelter was created on Helensburgh seafront to the west of the Henry Bell obelisk in World War Two by excavating the seafront grass opposite the James Street/John Street block. But it was never used as it kept being flooded by sea water.
|
|

West United Free Church924 viewsThe West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
|
|

Evening lecture924 viewsThe Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird and minister of Helensburgh's West Established Church, later St Bride's Church, gave a lecture on the French Revolution in the Pavilion at Blanefield on February 10 1882. Image by courtesy of Michael Dryden.
|
|

Rhu Bay923 viewsA motor yacht moored in Rhu Bay with the village beyond, circa 1909.
|
|

Comet replica 1962923 viewsThe Comet replica, built by apprentices at William Lithgow at Port Glasgow for the 150th anniversary of the first sailing of Henry Bell's Comet, Europe's first commercial steamship, is seen setting off from Port Glasgow before steaming across the Clyde accompanied by a fleet of yachts. To mark the anniversary, the replica sailed from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh, with civic dignitaries on board in costume for 1812. Image taken and supplied by Jim Bamber.
|
|

St Michael's Outing923 viewsA Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church Sunday School outing to Comrie in 1954. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of the church from 1951-9.
|
|

The first Waverley923 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image circa 1925.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
143 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|