| Most viewed |

Sinclair Street shops2356 viewsA view of the east side of Sinclair Street, between Clyde Street and Princes Street, circa 1950. The shops are C.G.Reid ironmonger, J.Rowan clothier, Birrell confectioner, the Tudor Garden Restaurant, A.Massey & Sons grocer, Alex Munro butcher, Peacocks hairdresser, Hargan's shoes, the entrance to the Waldie & Co. Ltd. garage, two unidentified shops, Ross shoes, Maclachlan bakers.
|
|

Larchfield School 19582350 viewsThe first part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
|
|

St Bride's School2337 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1934.
|
|

Gareloch sunset2336 viewsAn atmospheric image of a yacht moored in the Gareloch near Rhu at sunset, circa 1951.
|
|

Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital2335 viewsThis hospital was adjacent to the Victoria Infirmary, and was in operation from 1875 to 1956. It was demolished three years later.
|
|

West End United 19622335 viewsHelensburgh's West End United football team which took part in the Gareloch League, which also included teams from the Faslane base, Arrochar, Garelochhead, Rosneath and Kilcreggan. The club was run by secretary Jimmy Shields for ten years, and after his death the team folded. They are at Hermitage playing fields, June 11 1962. Sitting: I.McFadyen, D.Smith, M.Gray, A.Moffat, M.Trueman; standing: Mr Shields, P.Robertson, R.Don, C.Lawrie, A.McGregor, T.Donaldson, I.McClafferty (captain).
|
|

Hermitage Park Lodge2322 viewsThe Lodge which stood at the west gate of Helensburgh's Hermitage Park for many years, before being replaced by a modern bungalow used by successive Parks Superintendents. Image supplied by Sandy Kerr.
|
|

1903 Sinclair Street2314 viewsHelensburgh's Public Hall, the Victoria Hall, and Hermitage School are seen in this 1903 photograph from the top of the St Columba Church tower, looking up Sinclair Street, which was published as a postcard by J.Valentine & Co. of Dundee. It shows the chimney of the Malig (or Millig) Mill to the rear of the Victoria Hall.
|
|

1967 New Year Swim2313 viewsChilly swimmers on Helensburgh pier before the start of the 1967 Ne'erday Swim. The girls are (from left) Morag Mackie, Margaret Shields, Sandy MacRitchie holding the puppy, Cynthia Mackie, Alison McLuskie, Christine Ferguson, Catherine Rennie and Irene McGhie. It is thought the boy on the right is Arthur Lawson, but the other boy's name is not known.
|
|

Rosneath Castle2312 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1939.
|
|

Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay2310 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
|
|

Inverclyde, Cove2295 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, before it became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
13 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|