Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places Burgh

Most viewed - Places Burgh
Centenary_monument1662.jpg
Centenary Cross1366 viewsThe pink granite centenary cross in the centre of Colquhoun Square in 1905. It was donated in 1903 by Sir James Colquhoun, the 30th of Luss and 5th Baronet, to mark the centenary of the granting of the Burgh Charter in 1902. Later it was moved to the north west quadrant of the square for road safety reasons.
West_Helensburgh1.jpg
West Helensburgh1366 viewsThe west side of Sinclair Street from just below West Argyle Street, taken from the St Columba Church tower. Circa 1912.
Helensburgh-from-Rosneath.jpg
Helensburgh from Rosneath1364 viewsA view of Helensburgh from above Rosneath, published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Rosneath. Image date unknown, probably early 1900s.
East-Bay4383.jpg
East Bay1359 viewsThe East Bay with the pier in the distance. Image date unknown.
Station-yard-14.jpg
Railway Yard1358 viewsThe old Helensburgh Central Station railway yard adjacent to East King Street, in the area now occupied by the Co-op, circa 1914. On the left can be seen the Baptist Church, with the original Baptist Church beside the burn behind it.
Sinclair_Street_south2833.jpg
Sinclair Street looking south1356 viewsLooking down Sinclair Street from Princes Street, circa 1955.
Hermitage_Park_south_entrance.jpg
Hermitage Park entrance1352 viewsThe most recent entrance to Hermitage Park — from Sinclair Street — shortly after it was created. In the distance is Hermitage Primary School. Image by courtesy of Helensburgh Library; date unknown.
Plaza_Ballroom0597.jpg
The Plaza Ballroom1351 viewsThe Plaza Ballroom at 23 John Street opened in 1927 and was very popular with British and American servicemen during World War Two who knew it as the 'Honky Tonk'. Eventually the site was bought by the Town Council, and in 1970 it was demolished and flats built on the site. From 1913-27 it was the Cine Electric Picture House, closing because of competition from other cinemas.
Colquhoun_Square260-11.jpg
Colquhoun Square1351 viewsThe south west quadrant of Colquhoun Square, showing one of the two granite water fountains. Circa 1907.
Helensburgh-West.jpg
Helensburgh West1342 viewsAn aerial view of west Helensburgh, showing Helensburgh Lawn Tennis Club in the days of its original wooden pavilions, and the Helensburgh Football Club pitch at Ardencaple. The image, date unknown, is from the collection of William Orr of Rhu, who was at one time the Burgh Engineer before becoming the Assistant Engineer for Argyllshire, and it was supplied by his great nephew, Alistair Quinlan.
Seafront-storm.jpg
Stormy seafront1338 viewsA view from the pier on a very stormy day at 3.35 p.m. looking towards the bandstand, the Granary when it was used as a garage, and the Old Parish Church. Image c.1920.
1912_seafront_shops.jpg
1912 West Promenade1337 viewsPeople stroll on the seafront promenade and the West Clyde Streets shops have their sunshades down in this 1912 image.
325 files on 28 page(s) 9