Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places Burgh

Most viewed - Places Burgh
East_Bay288.jpg
The East Bay1122 viewsA pre-Second World War image of the East Bay. The railings which can be seen at the foot of George Street were the entrance to underground public toilets. Image date unknown.
Municipal_Buildings_cat.jpg
Municipal Buildings cat1121 viewsThis cat was a flight of fancy by architect and watercolourist Alexander Nisbet Paterson who was commissioned to design an extension to the Municipal Buildings in 1902 which was completed in 1906. The cat had become the pet of the builders, so the architect, a cat lover, immortalised it in stone on the second storey on the Sinclair Street side. As the extension housed the police station, he also added two pairs of stone handcuffs above the door. Image taken and supplied by Donald Fullarton.
Burgh_beach_play.jpg
On the beach1121 viewsA 1925 image of families relaxing, playing and building sandcastles on Helensburgh beach just to the west of the pier.
John_St_Shelter_1912.jpg
Seafront shelter1117 viewsThe John Street shelter on the West Esplanade, circa 1912. It was one of several seafront shelters which fell into disrepair and were demolished towards the end of the century.
Colquhoun_Square022.jpg
Colquhoun Square1117 viewsThe square is pictured in the days when the centenary monument was in the centre, the quadrants had metal fences, and what is now St Andrew's Kirk did not have a porch. Image circa 1905.
Sinclair_Street_1901.jpg
Sinclair Street1115 viewsThis picture of the foot of Sinclair Street in 1901 was republished as a postcard by Dumbarton District Libraries. On the right is the entrance to Waldie's Garage and Stabling, and beyond W.G.Christie's grocers shop.
Colquhoun_Square001.jpg
Colquhoun Square1112 viewsAn uncluttered Colquhoun Square is pictured in 1954.
Hermitage_Park_rustic_bridge.jpg
Rustic bridge1110 viewsA couple walk across one of the rustic bridges at the south end of Hermitage Park. Image circa 1950.
View_from_Victoria_Hall.jpg
Looking east1110 viewsLooking east along West Princes Street towards St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church on a foggy morning. Image by courtesy of Helensburgh Library; date unknown.
Stormy-seafront-w.jpg
Stormy seafront1107 viewsThis old picture shows the pier and the esplanade being battered by a storm at high tide. Image date unknown.
Ferniegair_entrance124.jpg
Ferniegair entrance1104 viewsAn old image of Helensburgh's West Esplanade, with the gateway to Ferniegair on the right, with Provost's lamps outside. Ferniegair was the family home of the Kidston family. Richard Kidston was Provost of Helensburgh from 1840-49, and Adrian M.M.G.Kidston was Provost in 1911-12. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Putting-green-1941-w.jpg
Busy putting green1103 viewsHelensburgh's West Esplanade is packed and the putting green busy in this 1941 image, with the Granary Restaurant and the Old Parish Church beyond.
325 files on 28 page(s) 18