Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places Burgh

Most viewed - Places Burgh
Conservative_club-2.jpg
Conservative Club1277 viewsThe upstairs premises at 40 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, housed the Conservative and Unionist Club Rooms. The attractive building was designed in 1894 by Honeyman and Keppie, and it is thought Charles Rennie Mackintosh, then a young architect employed by the firm, contributed to the design which has many Glasgow-style features. A statue of St Andrew, the crest of the club, occupies a niche in a central position on the facade. Now the building is owned by the clothing firm Mackays. Image by Stewart Noble.
West-Bay5233.jpg
West Bay1276 viewsLooking east along West Clyde Street towards the Henry Bell monument and the Old Parish Church, in the days when there were railings between the pavement and the grass. Image date unknown.
Eagle_Hotel.jpg
Seafront and Eagle Hotel1273 viewsAn early 1900s image of Helensburgh's West Esplanade, looking west from John Street and showing the Eagle Temperance Hotel.
West_Princes_Street3104.jpg
West Princes Street1272 viewsA sunny day in West Princes Street, looking west from Sinclair Street, after the burgh centenary monument was moved from the centre of Colquhoun Square to the north west quadrant. Image circa 1923.
Stormy-seafront005.jpg
Stormy seafront1271 viewsA pre-1945 view from a balcony at the former Queen's Hotel, looking west towards Helensburgh pier on a very stormy day.
Town_centre_seafront.jpg
Town centre seafront1270 viewsAn aerial view of the town centre and seafront from west of William Street to the pierhead, taken by Craig M.Jeffrey circa 1970.
Two-Burgh-Hospitals.jpg
Two Burgh Hospitals1266 viewsOn the left is the Victoria Infirmary, built in 1895 to the design of the celebrated architect William Leiper and partly in use today, and on the right is the Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital which was in operation from 1875 to 1956. It was demolished three years later. Image date unknown.
Image1-169.jpg
View from pier1264 viewsA view of West Clyde Street from Helensburgh pier. Image date unknown.
West-Clyde-Street3681.jpg
West Clyde Street looking west1263 viewsView from Sinclair Street looking west, showing cars — some with the registration plate readable — a coach with 'W.Innes' on the rear, the Imperial Hotel, shops, and old lamp-posts, circa 1935.
Sinclair_Street.jpg
Sinclair Street1260 viewsSinclair Street and the Municipal Buildings at the Princes Street junction. Image circa 1903.
Hermitage_Park_aerial.jpg
Hermitage Park1259 viewsAn aerial view of Hermitage Park, Helensburgh, showing Hermitage House and the A.N.Paterson-designed War Memorial. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion became an annexe to Hermitage School after World War One use as a hospital. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963. Image by courtesy of Helensburgh Library; date unknown.
Putting-green.jpg
Putting Green1258 viewsLooking east along the West Clyde Street putting green on a sunny day in the 1940s. Exact image date unknown.
325 files on 28 page(s) 12