| Last additions |

Potato seekers1466 viewsFour images from 1917 of young potato seekers arriving in Helensburgh from Greenock. The local newspaper headline was 'Helensburgh Invaded!'Feb 03, 2016
|
|

Rosneath Mill1008 viewsA 1904 image of the Rosneath Mill, taken by prize-winning amateur photographer David Johnston.Feb 03, 2016
|
|

Thomas A.Purves955 viewsThomas A.Purves was stationmaster at Helensburgh Central Station for 31 years before retiring in June 1915 after 50 years service with the North British Railway Company. To mark the occasion, this photo appeared on a postcard published by the Helensburgh printing firm of Lindsay Laidlaw.Jan 12, 2016
|
|

Merry Christmas917 viewsThis Christmas card was sent to Helensburgh TV inventor John Logie Baird's widow Margaret in 1948. It is signed by J.D.Percy, who worked for Baird Television in the 1930s and lived on until about 1985, and depicts the first demonstration of colour television in London in July 1928. Image by courtesy of the inventor's son Professor Malcolm Baird, who is president of Helensburgh Heritage Trust.Dec 17, 2015
|
|

High Green998 viewsA 1913 image of players and spectators at Helensburgh Bowling Club — known as the High Green, as opposed to the former Low Green at Hermitage Park — with the old pavilion in the south east corner.Dec 17, 2015
|
|

Landing craft1024 viewsOne of the Landing Craft which used to ply from Rhu to Benbecula is pictured moored at Helensburgh pier, while crowds on the seafront take advantage of the evening sunshine. Image circa 1973.Dec 17, 2015
|
|

Lady Helen Colquhoun1043 viewsThis portrait of Lady Helen Colquhoun of Luss, wife of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, is attributed to Scottish society portrait painter William Aikman (1682-1731) from Cairney, Fife. Sir James — who was succeeded by four others bearing the same name — bought what was then Milligs and decided to develop it into what became Helensburgh. The town was named after his wife Lady Helen (nee Sutherland). Image by courtesy of the current Baronet and Chief of Clan Colquhoun, Sir Malcolm Colquhoun of Luss.Dec 14, 2015
|
|

Sir James Colquhoun909 viewsA portrait of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss — who was succeeded by four others bearing the same name — who bought what was then Milligs and decided to develop it into what became Helensburgh, which was named after his wife Lady Helen. The portrait is believed to be by David Martin (1737-97), a painter of over 300 portraits and engraver. Born in Anstruther, Fife, he studied in London and Italy before gaining a reputation as a portrait painter. Image by courtesy of the current Baronet and Chief of Clan Colquhoun, Sir Malcolm Colquhoun of Luss.Dec 14, 2015
|
|

Burgh seafront986 viewsAn old view from the sea of Helensburgh seafront. The house on the extreme right is Seabank, built by businessman and benefactor Robert Thomson around 1800. It was later bought by the Kidston family, and became the home of Andrew Bonar Law — later to be Prime Minister — after his marriage in Helensburgh West Free Church on March 24 1891. It was demolished in the 1950s. Image date unknown.Dec 07, 2015
|
|

View from pier1471 viewsAn 1880s image by James Valentine of the fishing boats on the beach and Helensburgh's west seafront.Dec 07, 2015
|
|

Maggie Hamilton by her husband953 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, who painted this still life of her at their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.Dec 06, 2015
|
|

Artistic couple1026 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and the couple are seen here in their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.cx Dec 06, 2015
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
40 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|