| Category |
Albums |
Files |
|
|
23 |
2,190 |
|
Anderson Trust
|

|


|
|
THE Anderson Trust was established in 1980 on the death of Miss A.T.Anderson MBE to manage her bequest to the town of her private collection of paintings. Annie Templeton Anderson (1889-1980), known to all as Nance, was born and lived all her life in Helensburgh where her father had been Provost. The original collection comprised 34 paintings, all of which are associated with the area, either by artist or subject matter. Thanks to generous gifts of works from private donors, and some new purchases, the collection is continues to grow. In 1998 the Anderson Collection was given a permanent home in the new Helensburgh Library, in West King Street, and, with the co-operation of Argyll & Bute Library and Museum Services, the Trust is able to display a selection of paintings from the Collection, for six months every year, in the Upper Gallery of the Library.
16 files, last one added on Feb 04, 2023 Album viewed 4953 times
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

|
| 2,190 files in 23 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 2,840,364 times |

| Random files |

Mr and Mrs John Logie Baird996 viewsJohn and Margaret Baird on holiday at St Tropez in the south of France in April 1939, their last holiday before World War Two.
|
|

West United Free Church1172 viewsA 1914 photo by well known professional photographer John Stuart, of Thistlebank, Helensburgh, and Glasgow, of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square, later St Andrew's Church, then Old and St Andrew's Church, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Built in 1845, it remained in the Free Church tradition until 1929 when it became a Church of Scotland congregation. The William Leiper-designed front porch was added in 1892, and the building survived a disastrous fire in 1924 which left only the walls standing.
|
|

Deborah Kerr in the 80s980 viewsAn autographed photograph of Helensburgh film star Deborah Kerr, circa 1985.
|
|

Comet replica858 viewsThe replica of Henry Bell's Comet built by Lithgow apprentices for the Comet 150th anniversary in 1962 is towed away on a trailer from Helensburgh pierhead to be taken to its permanent home in Port Glasgow town centre after the celebrations.
|
|

Stooky Bill1006 viewsAn October 3 1929 newspaper image of John Logie Baird with Stooky Bill, the dummy he used in his demonstrations, and TV equipment. The caption stated: "One more dream of science has been realised. Man's vision has spanned the Ocean, and transatlantic television has been demonstrated to be a reality. A man and a woman sat before an electric eye in a London laboratory last night, and a group of people in a darkened basement in the village of Hartsdale, New York, watched them turn their heads and move from side to side. The images were crude and broken, but they were images nevertheless."
|
|

Loch Lomond Youth Hostel2289 viewsThe former Loch Lomond Youth Hostel, Auchendennan, overlooks the loch at Duck Bay. Built on the site of Robert the Bruce’s hunting lodge, the mansion — now back in private ownership — has many original features, including a sweeping staircase with vast stained glass windows, a ballroom, and even a claimed haunted room. Erected from 1842-46 for George Martin, a Glasgow merchant, with later additions to the house by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer, it passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association in 1945 and was sold in 2013. Image circa 1959.
|
|

St Michael's Choir1391 viewsThe choir of Helensburgh's St Michael's and All Angels Church, circa 1950. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
|
|

Hermitage School 1st Year Christmas Party 1951879 viewsBack row: Billy Wallace, Pat Grant, ?, Nancy Farrell, ?, ?, ?, ?, Heather Macdonald, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?; 2nd back: Mr Blain, Eleanor Hunter, Duncan Bulloch, ?, Neil Shaw, Joan Stewart, ?, ?, Eric Morrison, Elza Logan, Arthur Payne, ?, Donald Gilchrist, Sheena MacGregor, Eric Bowman, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?; 2nd front: ?, Eva MacKenzie, Duncan MacCallum, Barbara Ward, Jim Williamson, ?, Kenneth Murray, Elinor Strang, Ian McLeod, Ann Moffat, Evan MacGregor, ?, Ken MacLetchie, Sheila MacDonald, Jim MacPherson, Pat Patterson, Donald Maclean, Elaine Dodd, Jimmy Buchanan, Florence Johnson, Jean Hamilton, Mr McWatt; front: ?, ?, ?, Alan Wylie, Sally Osborne, Willie McSporran, Sheila Chisholm, ?, Betty Calder, ?, ?, ?, ?, Tommy MacRae, Josephine Park, Ian Hamilton, ?, Donald Lawrie, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. Image supplied by Donald Maclean.
|
|

| Last additions |

Helensburgh Pier - unknown artist2667 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

Steamboat on the Clyde - William Daniell3176 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran - Ian Plenderleath6942 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

1662 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

1490 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

1721 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

Provost's Lamps2153 views It was a tradition that provosts of Helensburgh had a special lamp post erected outside their house during their term of office. This photograph shows the two lamp posts which stood outside Billy Petrie's house at Segton, John Street at the time of his death in 2022. The coats of arms on the glass are for Dunbartonshire County Council, Dumbarton District Council, Argyll and Bute Council, and Strathclyde Regional Council. He had been provost of the first three of these councils, but not of the last - quite probably a unique state of affairs. Nov 14, 2022
|
|

New Era for swimmers2033 viewsThe town's first indoor swimming pool being demolished in September 2022, following the opening of the new indoor swimming pool a few days earlier. The pool had been opened in 1977 Provost Billy Petrie. Photo by Stewart NobleOct 23, 2022
|
|

|