Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Military

Most viewed - Military
Gareloch-mothballed-ship4651.jpg
Mothballed warships1455 viewsGarelochhead and the Gareloch from Whistlefield Brae, showing mothballed Royal Navy warships lying at anchor in the loch — a ship of the King George V battleship class in the foreground and two others of the class in the background. The first of these ships was laid up there after decommissioning in November 1949, followed by King George V (June 1950) and Duke of York (November 1951). Approval for scrapping these ships was given in April 1957, so the image date is likely to be between 1951 and 1957.
Derflinger~0.jpg
End of a battleship1258 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow. After the Second World War she was brought to the Gareloch for shipbreaking.
War_veterans2.jpg
World War veterans1220 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the Clydeview, East Montrose Street, home of Lieutenant Colonel Archibald MacConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Soon after he donated his house to the Church of Scotland for use as an eventide home. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Thomas Garrity DCM, an accomplished drummer who taught many aspiring local drummers, is seated front far left.
Torpedo_range_circa192014.jpg
Loch Long Torpedo Range1052 viewsThis picture, circa 1920, shows the Loch Long Torpedo Range which was in use from 1912-86. The building was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 2007. Activity at the range reached a peak during World War Two, with more than 12,000 torpedoes being fired down the loch in 1944.
HA_Fruin_sword11.jpg
Sword found in Glen Fruin979 viewsDate not known.
1918_Victory_Parade.jpg
Victory Parade973 viewsTownfolk watch the final stages of Helensburgh's World War One Victory Parade in Colquhoun Square in 1918.
German-Heinkel5.jpg
A Heinkel at Rhu circa 1940958 viewsThis photo by World War Two photographer Bob Bird shows a German Heinkel aircraft at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Research Establishment at Rhu. It was one of two Heinkel He 115 floatplanes modified by MAEE and Scottish Aviation to fly agents into Europe. Reproduced by kind permission of Robin Bird, who wrote ‘Top Secret War Bird of World War Two’ about his father.
Faslane_19825.jpg
CND Demonstration953 viewsMembers of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament demonstrate outside the south gate of the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on March 22 1982.
Garelochhead_Camp8.jpg
Open Day947 viewsMembers of the public enjoy an Open Day at Garelochhead Army Training Camp in 1973.
Derflinger~1.jpg
End of a battleship927 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946 for shipbreaking. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow.
Royal_Yacht0795.jpg
Royal Yacht907 viewsThe Royal Yacht Britannia berthed at the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane for a visit by the Queen Mother in May 1968.
Hermitage_hospital2.jpg
Hermitage Hospital882 viewsNurses and servicemen pictured in June 1915 outside the World War One Hermitage House Auxiliary Military Hospital. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion became an annexe to Hermitage School after the war. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
87 files on 8 page(s) 1