Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

Most viewed - Business
Queens_Hotel0184.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1492 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. In front of the front door is the Volvo estate car used for many years by the last manager, Norman Drummond. Image date unknown.
Glen_Luss_bridge-52.jpg
The Ram's Head Bridge1163 viewsThis photo by Donald Fullarton shows the Ram's Head Bridge in Glen Luss, built in 1777 by William Johns, seen in winter with little vegetation. It was also known as the Tupp Bridge. Glen Luss was one of the first of the Highland glens to be cleared after the defeat of the Jacobites in 1745, with the people forced off the land and replaced by the Linton breed of black-faced sheep.
queenshotel.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1096 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
commodore.jpg
Commodore Hotel953 viewsThis postcard of the former Kingsclere Hotel is post-dated sometime in the 1960s, before most of the hotel was extensively damaged by a fire in the early hours during a firemens strike.
Tarbet_Hotel_c1922.jpg
Tarbet Hotel, circa 1922929 viewsErected about 1810, the Tarbet Hotel was built in true Scottish baronial style with fine features both inside and out, and has been a mecca for visitors ever since.
Norman_Drummond1435.jpg
Queen at Queen's892 viewsQueen's Hotel manager Norman Drummond is pictured on the lawn at the front of the hotel with Miss Great Britain, Jennifer Gurley, in July 1968. She was in town for the Helensburgh Lions Club Carnival in East King Street Park.
Commodore-Hotel-1968~1.jpg
Commodore Hotel878 viewsThe Commodore Hotel, formerly Kingsclere Hotel, on Helensburgh's west seafront in 1968. It was burnt down during the firemen's strike in December 1978, when solders in Green Goddesses attended the middle of the night blaze which was fanned by strong winds. Most of the hotel was destroyed, but it was rebuilt and has since been altered and extended several times. Image circa 1973.
Queen_s_Hotel1526.jpg
The Queen's Hotel867 viewsA 1907 photo of the Queen's Hotel, former home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell. The sign states: Breakfasts Lunches Dinners, Wines Spirits Ales Cigars, Stabling and Storage for Motors and Cycles.
Spy_s-Coalyard~0.jpg
Spy's Coalyard847 viewsA. & R.Spy, coal merchants and colliery agents, had a coalyard at 23-25 Sinclair Street — in the middle of the block between Clyde and Princes Streets — until 1964 when the business was sold to D. & G.Allan Ltd. of Glasgow. It was then acquired by William Low Ltd. who built the town's first supermarket on the site and opened it in 1966. The firm also had premises at 110 West Princes Street and a wholesale depot at Helensburgh Central Station. In the picture, supplied by Pat Drayton, are Robin and Jack Spy.
Press_Barons0696.jpg
Local Press Barons838 viewsA rare picture of Craig Jeffrey, founder of the Helensburgh Advertiser, with Walter Bryden, owner of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Between them is Provost J.McLeod Williamson. The photograph was taken at the official opening of the Churchill naval married quarters estate in May 1969.
Duck-Bay-opening4152.jpg
Explosive opening831 viewsSir Hugh Fraser shocked all on stage when he fired a starting pistol to signal the opening of the Duck Bay Marina business started by his friend Bobby Cawley in April 1968. Beside Sir Hugh is famous local Highland Games athlete Jay Scott.
1952-Decorators-dinner5414.jpg
Painters president827 viewsThe top table at the 1952 annual dinner at the conference of the Federation of Master Painters and Decorators in Scotland, held at Shandon Hydro Hotel, the former home of Robert Napier. On the right is the new president, Helensburgh man Gregory Alexander Burgess, and in the centre is Mrs McKay of Rhu. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
101 files on 9 page(s) 1