Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

Most viewed - Transport — Railways
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station1194 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
Craigendoran-Pier-platform9.jpg
Craigendoran Station pier platform1156 viewsThe platform at Craigendoran Station which brought trippers direct to the steamers at the pier, and one steamer can be seen. Both the station and the piers were built in 1882 after a plan to extend the Helensburgh line through the town centre to Helensburgh pier fell through because of local opposition. Image date unknown.
Craigendoran-Upper11.jpg
Craigendoran Upper Station1139 viewsCraigendoran Upper Station, the start of the West Highland Line which opened in 1894. Like all the local upper stations, except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-derailment4.jpg
Helensburgh derailment1130 viewsThis derailment, which occurred about 1968, is shown from the Adelaide Street footbridge looking west towards Helensburgh Central Station.
Cardross-derailment1.jpg
Cardross derailment1123 viewsThe goods train known locally as the ‘Ghost Train’ was derailed on October 18 1966 between the Ardmore East signal box and Cardross Station. It was on its way to Fort William.
whistlefield_station.jpg
Whistlefield Station1097 viewsA photograph of the North British Railway station at Whistlefield, probably from the late 1920’s or early 1930’s. Note the advertisement for Tennents.
Engine-67629.jpg
67629 at Helensburgh1031 viewsAn engine of the 84-ton V1 Class introduced in 1930, 67629, waits at Helensburgh Central. Photo reproduced by kind permission of the Duncan Chandler Collection, the copyright holder.
Helensburgh-Central-19792.jpg
Helensburgh Central Station1026 viewsA fairly modern view of the Central Station in East Princes Street, taken on September 20 1979.
Helensburgh-Station3.jpg
Early Helensburgh Station1006 viewsAn 1875 picture of the second of three Helensburgh stations. From 1857 the first station was at George Street, but by 1862 the railway had been brought to this East Princes Street site to the east of the present Central Station, which replaced it a few years later.
Burgh-Railway-Staff0602.jpg
Railway Staff997 viewsStaff at Helensburgh Central Station in 1928. Back row from left: Dan Feeney, — , — , Lizzie Robertson, Mr Taylor, Mrs Sarah Shields, Sam McKinlay, Willie Wilkie, — . Third: Jean Wallace, Dennis Shields, Bessie McDonach, — , Sarah McDonald, Tommy Patterson, Julia O'Brien, Pat Boyce, Miss Robb, John Rafferty. Second: Norman McLeod, John McConnell, Mrs Lorimer, — , stationmaster and local councillor George Stevenson, — , — , Sandy Chapman, — . Front: Willie Busby, Duncan McInnes, Harry Stevenson, Pat Coleman, Willie Ritchie, Joe Kennan.
Station-yard-25.jpg
Helensburgh Station997 viewsThe Central Station and goods yard in the days of steam, pictured from the St Columba Church tower. Image date unknown.
Trains_at_Ardlui2484.jpg
Trains at Ardui994 viewsTwo steam trains on the West Highland Line at Ardlui Station, Loch Lomond, on August 13 1959. The engine which can be seen pulling a Glasgow train, no.61342, is a 71-ton Class B1 locomotive. Designed by Thompson, the class was introduced in 1942, and 409 were built.
70 files on 6 page(s) 1